Advice on deferring TC

cty

Jul 11, 2019
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, as I am currently facing the dilemma of whether to defer my training contract. I have recently started a job at a Big 4 firm outside the UK in international tax, which I believe will be useful commercial experience. If I choose not to defer my training contract, I will gain only one year of work experience at the firm. If I do defer, then I will have two. I am, therefore, looking for advice on whether this experience and the length of it (1 year vs 2 years), will make any difference to:

(i) my employability if I want to switch firms after my TC, and
(ii) my career as a corporate lawyer (and not a tax lawyer) generally.

Any advice will be much appreciated, and thank you in advance! :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

SJamal

Star Member
Nov 18, 2018
I don't think you should defer if your end goal is to be an corporate lawyer, that's assuming that don't wish to also be qualified accountant as well (assumption that your on the grad program).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, as I am currently facing the dilemma of whether to defer my training contract. I have recently started a job at a Big 4 firm outside the UK in international tax, which I believe will be useful commercial experience. If I choose not to defer my training contract, I will gain only one year of work experience at the firm. If I do defer, then I will have two. I am, therefore, looking for advice on whether this experience and the length of it (1 year vs 2 years), will make any difference to:

(i) my employability if I want to switch firms after my TC, and
(ii) my career as a corporate lawyer (and not a tax lawyer) generally.

Any advice will be much appreciated, and thank you in advance! :)

Deferring isn’t necessarily up to you. It’s going to be dependent on the firm you have an offer with.

Deferring could be interesting, especially if you are expecting to do a traditional TC instead of the SQE. The later you leave it, the more likely you will need to take the SQE route.

The tax work experience will only be of interest if you decided to go back and work in tax for an accountancy firm. It’s not going to impact your employability as a general corporate lawyer in either your current or other firms

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.