Advice

lola15167

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 6, 2022
Hi everyone! Hope everyone's doing well.

This is going to come across as a bit of a rant but honestly, I'm feeling quite demotivated and a bit lost. To give some background info: I performed poorly in A levels (BBC), then went on to study for a non-law degree at a non RG, graduating in 2020. I worked very hard during my degree to make up for my poor a level grades and ended up scoring in the top 1% of my cohort. I then completed the GDL in 2021 with good grades (67% average), then paralegalled at a silver circle firm in 2022. I am currently doing the LLM at a top 5 law school. Up until September 2022, I didn't really take applications seriously- submitting 3 applications during GDL and 1 as a paralegal. During this application cycle, I took the process seriously and really wanted to secure a TC. I submitted 10 applications-only to those without minimum A level requirements- passing the initial screening and tests for 3 firms. I was then rejected following virtual interviews. My plan is to get a full-time paralegal position after completing my master's and keep applying for TCs but honestly, I don't know if I'm just wasting my time. One of my biggest worries is that I'm simply getting too old for this- I'm 23, approaching 24 and haven't completed the LPC/SQE...

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Cryingtiger

Cryingtiger

Valued Member
Dec 11, 2020
Hi everyone! Hope everyone's doing well.

This is going to come across as a bit of a rant but honestly, I'm feeling quite demotivated and a bit lost. To give some background info: I performed poorly in A levels (BBC), then went on to study for a non-law degree at a non RG, graduating in 2020. I worked very hard during my degree to make up for my poor a level grades and ended up scoring in the top 1% of my cohort. I then completed the GDL in 2021 with good grades (67% average), then paralegalled at a silver circle firm in 2022. I am currently doing the LLM at a top 5 law school. Up until September 2022, I didn't really take applications seriously- submitting 3 applications during GDL and 1 as a paralegal. During this application cycle, I took the process seriously and really wanted to secure a TC. I submitted 10 applications-only to those without minimum A level requirements- passing the initial screening and tests for 3 firms. I was then rejected following virtual interviews. My plan is to get a full-time paralegal position after completing my master's and keep applying for TCs but honestly, I don't know if I'm just wasting my time. One of my biggest worries is that I'm simply getting too old for this- I'm 23, approaching 24 and haven't completed the LPC/SQE...

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Some people I know from my university are 27+ and have just secured their TCs! Your experience looks great as well play it to your advantage! 😊 Good luck!

Reactions: lola15167

danielnesbitt

Apr 2, 2023
Wow! I feel like I'm ancient now. I'm a career changer and about to start the MA Law this September. I'm 31!
I definitely don't allow myself to think about my age in a negative way.
You have a great background and TC's are highly competitive. Never give up on what you believe is yours.
Likewise, career changer here and feeling very old seeing how young some people are on the forum!

AAKT9080

Apr 5, 2023
@lola15167 I am so sorry to hear you’re feeling like this, but honestly, same boat. I got BCC at A-Levels (and an A for general studies which I occasionally dropped in there to make it seem not all too bad). I also just turned 25, working as a paralegal at a MC firm, and full-time student with a TC lined up for 2025. If I can do it, why can’t you?

I understand far too well what you’re feeling, as I’m sure many of us do on here.

My advice for you would be to consider if this is what you truly want. If it is, then this demotivation you’re feeling, you’re going to have to learn to channel that energy into something positive instead (easier said than done I know). One thing that helped me when I felt this way was to think about what giving up would mean to me: it would mean settling for something I didn't want, it would mean accepting that I’m not good enough even though I knew I was, and it would mean throwing away my dreams - all for what, that small voice in the back of your head telling you you won’t get anywhere. If I listened to that voice, I wouldn’t be where I am today.
You mentioned that you had performed badly in A-Levels and that you did not go to a RG uni. I assume you mentioned that because you think somehow this is holding you back. For some firms, probably yes, but for others - it won’t. I thought that for quite some time too, and was convincing myself that I shouldn’t even try because the odds were stacked against me - but having worked in graduate recruitment for a top law firm (randomly, god knows why but amazing experience) I realised very quickly this may not be the case. During application season, because we had a virtual assessment and an in depth application form - we never needed to consider A-Levels or Universities so deeply (I’m not saying this is the case for all firms but just that it may not hold you back as much as you think it will). Instead, what I learnt here was that the only thing holding me back was myself. Looking at the quality of applications we were getting, it dawned on me that I simply wasn’t dedicating enough time into making quality applications and at one sign of rejection I would stop considering that firm all together - the truth was, most of the candidates that got a TC were those that had been trying to get into the firm for years. If they had to take a few rejections, then who are we? If they spent time researching the firm through and through and writing standout applications, then who are we? Personally, as much as I thought my applications were amazing back then, the truth is, they weren’t. I was overthinking it, trying to save a little time so limited my research and spent my word count trying to sound like a modern day Shakespeare instead of actually dedicating some time to think about the points I wanted to make and using the word count to just get to the point and back it up.

It is TC season soon if not now, and I would suggest considering where you’re going wrong:

1. Are you researching the firm properly and thinking about what this means for you, and how you are a good fit for that particular firm?
2. Are you then using your word count in a way that highlights the above without wasting too much on?
3. Are you selling yourself or simply name dropping?
4. Are you displaying the skills the recruiter is looking for in each question?

Try spending a few hours just thinking about where you can improve. Once you’ve done that, I’m sure you’ll regain some hope again as I did every cycle.

As for age, I was not going to comment on that because it was quite funny. You’re 23! This is your prime. I think you’re comparing yourself to candidates who knew what they wanted very early on, and applied for the first year access schemes and subsequent vacation schemes. Remember these are often just pipelines, and the reason you think people much younger than you have TC’s is because they went through that process. You did not, so don’t compare yourself to that age bracket.

To put things into perspective, I’ll be 27 when I start my TC. Of course, it wasn’t ideal - but I didn’t do what those students did, I just wasn’t sure I wanted a career in law. Am I sad about it? No. In fact, I got to experience many things that I otherwise wouldn’t have been able to do if I did get it sooner. Remember, you have all your life to be a solicitor, but once you’re there you’re never going to get these moments to enjoy what you’re currently doing and experience new things whilst you’re still applying. I’m not going to do into detail about what these things are, but honestly, if I got my TC at 20, started my LPC at 22, and then started my TC at 23, I very much doubt that the experiences I have had since that age I would ever have got. I can’t imagine it being easy being a full time solicitor and then deciding “nah I’m going to take a year out to try grad rec”.

Keep at it. Don’t give up. Reflect as much as you can. And most importantly, be positive. Wishing you all the best xx ❤️

lola15167

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 6, 2022
@lola15167 I am so sorry to hear you’re feeling like this, but honestly, same boat. I got BCC at A-Levels (and an A for general studies which I occasionally dropped in there to make it seem not all too bad). I also just turned 25, working as a paralegal at a MC firm, and full-time student with a TC lined up for 2025. If I can do it, why can’t you?

I understand far too well what you’re feeling, as I’m sure many of us do on here.

My advice for you would be to consider if this is what you truly want. If it is, then this demotivation you’re feeling, you’re going to have to learn to channel that energy into something positive instead (easier said than done I know). One thing that helped me when I felt this way was to think about what giving up would mean to me: it would mean settling for something I didn't want, it would mean accepting that I’m not good enough even though I knew I was, and it would mean throwing away my dreams - all for what, that small voice in the back of your head telling you you won’t get anywhere. If I listened to that voice, I wouldn’t be where I am today.
You mentioned that you had performed badly in A-Levels and that you did not go to a RG uni. I assume you mentioned that because you think somehow this is holding you back. For some firms, probably yes, but for others - it won’t. I thought that for quite some time too, and was convincing myself that I shouldn’t even try because the odds were stacked against me - but having worked in graduate recruitment for a top law firm (randomly, god knows why but amazing experience) I realised very quickly this may not be the case. During application season, because we had a virtual assessment and an in depth application form - we never needed to consider A-Levels or Universities so deeply (I’m not saying this is the case for all firms but just that it may not hold you back as much as you think it will). Instead, what I learnt here was that the only thing holding me back was myself. Looking at the quality of applications we were getting, it dawned on me that I simply wasn’t dedicating enough time into making quality applications and at one sign of rejection I would stop considering that firm all together - the truth was, most of the candidates that got a TC were those that had been trying to get into the firm for years. If they had to take a few rejections, then who are we? If they spent time researching the firm through and through and writing standout applications, then who are we? Personally, as much as I thought my applications were amazing back then, the truth is, they weren’t. I was overthinking it, trying to save a little time so limited my research and spent my word count trying to sound like a modern day Shakespeare instead of actually dedicating some time to think about the points I wanted to make and using the word count to just get to the point and back it up.

It is TC season soon if not now, and I would suggest considering where you’re going wrong:

1. Are you researching the firm properly and thinking about what this means for you, and how you are a good fit for that particular firm?
2. Are you then using your word count in a way that highlights the above without wasting too much on?
3. Are you selling yourself or simply name dropping?
4. Are you displaying the skills the recruiter is looking for in each question?

Try spending a few hours just thinking about where you can improve. Once you’ve done that, I’m sure you’ll regain some hope again as I did every cycle.

As for age, I was not going to comment on that because it was quite funny. You’re 23! This is your prime. I think you’re comparing yourself to candidates who knew what they wanted very early on, and applied for the first year access schemes and subsequent vacation schemes. Remember these are often just pipelines, and the reason you think people much younger than you have TC’s is because they went through that process. You did not, so don’t compare yourself to that age bracket.

To put things into perspective, I’ll be 27 when I start my TC. Of course, it wasn’t ideal - but I didn’t do what those students did, I just wasn’t sure I wanted a career in law. Am I sad about it? No. In fact, I got to experience many things that I otherwise wouldn’t have been able to do if I did get it sooner. Remember, you have all your life to be a solicitor, but once you’re there you’re never going to get these moments to enjoy what you’re currently doing and experience new things whilst you’re still applying. I’m not going to do into detail about what these things are, but honestly, if I got my TC at 20, started my LPC at 22, and then started my TC at 23, I very much doubt that the experiences I have had since that age I would ever have got. I can’t imagine it being easy being a full time solicitor and then deciding “nah I’m going to take a year out to try grad rec”.

Keep at it. Don’t give up. Reflect as much as you can. And most importantly, be positive. Wishing you all the best xx ❤️
Thank you so much!!! Wishing you all the best <3

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've made a terrible mistake. A slip of the finger and I've deleted absolutely all of my current and passed VS/TC application drafts on my onedrive. Anyone know how to recover onedrive files on mac?

(in a mild-to-steady panic)

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've made a terrible mistake. A slip of the finger and I've deleted absolutely all of my current and passed VS/TC application drafts on my onedrive. Anyone know how to recover onedrive files on mac?

(in a mild-to-steady panic)
Crisis over. They're all back.
Microsoft trying to give me a heart attack...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.