Allen and Overy Interview

halftime

Standard Member
Sep 11, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a vacation scheme interview with A&O and would be really grateful if anyone could share any experiences, tips or advice for this?

In particular, I was wondering how to prep for the case study part of the interview? I’ve never done a case study interview before so don't really know what to expect.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Prepping for case studies isn’t really straight forward. They are designed in a way that you can’t really prepare for them as such, but you can get more confident with the type of exercise they are and what to expect, and therefore feel more confident when you do see the content (and are less likely to panic).

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have a vacation scheme interview with A&O and would be really grateful if anyone could share any experiences, tips or advice for this?

In particular, I was wondering how to prep for the case study part of the interview? I’ve never done a case study interview before so don't really know what to expect.

You might find this thread helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ery-training-contract-interview-2018-19.1275/ :)

Moni

Distinguished Member
Jan 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

Hi! Congrats on your interview offer. How long did it take for you to hear back from A&O after you took the SJT?

halftime

Standard Member
Sep 11, 2019
Prepping for case studies isn’t really straight forward. They are designed in a way that you can’t really prepare for them as such, but you can get more confident with the type of exercise they are and what to expect, and therefore feel more confident when you do see the content (and are less likely to panic).

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean. I guess the whole point is that there is a degree of uncertainty!

Would you say the purpose of the exercise is to show an understanding of the substantive content or is it more about being able to generally show your ability to deal with a lot of information, process it and present it back to someone?

halftime

Standard Member
Sep 11, 2019
Hi! Congrats on your interview offer. How long did it take for you to hear back from A&O after you took the SJT?

Hi! Thank you! I received an email a few minutes after the SJT saying that my application would be going to the review stage. A few days later I received another email inviting me to interview. I did apply fairly early though so not sure if that was a contributing factor. Hope that helps and best of luck with your application!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean. I guess the whole point is that there is a degree of uncertainty!

Would you say the purpose of the exercise is to show an understanding of the substantive content or is it more about being able to generally show your ability to deal with a lot of information, process it and present it back to someone?

Typically the latter.

Can you absorb a lot of information quickly, work out what is pertinent and what isn’t, and then present back taking into consideration your position as an advisor to someone who may not understand the specifics or may have a very skewed view of how things work (such as a client).

Most case studies do not require technical legal knowledge, but do need some basic understanding of business processes (which most of the time is common sense rather than technical knowledge).

Reactions: Eva and Jaysen

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Hi! Thank you! I received an email a few minutes after the SJT saying that my application would be going to the review stage. A few days later I received another email inviting me to interview. I did apply fairly early though so not sure if that was a contributing factor. Hope that helps and best of luck with your application!

Congrats. When is your assessment day?

I submitted my application on the 19/09/2019, sat the SJT same day and found out I passed shortly after. I then received an invite to the assessment day on the 30/09/2019 and am booked in on the 30/10/2019. Just to note, this is for their Training Contract to start September 2020.

• 🏆
Reactions: Soliha

KayM.

Sep 11, 2019

I submitted my application on the 19/09/2019, sat the SJT same day and found out I passed shortly after. I then received an invite to the assessment day on the 30/09/2019 and am booked in on the 30/10/2019. Just to note, this is for their Training Contract to start September 2020.
Congratulations. I submitted mine on 17/09/2019 and passed the SJT but still yet to hear back!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What sources would you suggest to practise SJT? I failed it last year, would really appreciate if there is any way that I can improve.

you can’t practice SJTs - they are specifically designed for each organisation and so each one is unique in terms of how it is assessed.

At best you can try to look at the values the firm has and second guess how they might want you to respond (eg firm that states they want creative thinkers is probably looking for different answers than a firm that is looking for team players).

Reactions: Soliha

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019

Hey - congrats ! If you don’t mind me asking, how did you find the assessment day?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.