Allen & Overy SJT

Las123

Aug 27, 2018
Hi,

This is the A&O page that links to a sample question and details about the test-https://www.aograduate.com/training-contract
There is also this LSE page that goes over tips on tackling SJT tests- https://info.lse.ac.uk/current-stud...ent-centre-psychometric/Situational-Judgement

The test presents scenarios you’d come across as a trainee at the firm in a video format and asks how you’d respond.
I would say go over their core competencies mentioned on their website and reflect them in your answers.

Hope that helps, and good luck with it!

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: I’m_Batman

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I'd prepare by getting as deep of an understanding of A&O's core policies and what they look for in a trainee. I did this test last year and in my view (and from my recollection), it was fairly straightforward.

I note the advice above - Give the practice test a go! :)

Reactions: Zoo and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica. Can I also ask, if I applied yesterday morning but still haven’t received a link to the SJT, should I contact graduate recruitment?

I wouldn’t contact them yet. It might be the case that the SJT isn’t completely automated and you have to wait for someone to send it to you. If you haven’t got it by close of business on Monday, then ask.

Also check your junk mail and if you can log back into your application, check your email is correct.

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 9, 2019
I wouldn’t contact them yet. It might be the case that the SJT isn’t completely automated and you have to wait for someone to send it to you. If you haven’t got it by close of business on Monday, then ask.

Also check your junk mail and if you can log back into your application, check your email is correct.

that makes sense. Thank you so much!

H.N.

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 22
Jul 28, 2020
Hi @D could I ask you some tips on how to properly research a firm?

If you're asking in relation to what A&O look for in their trainees, this is briefly detailed on their graduate website, but if you scroll through their podcast and social media, they do touch on some key characteristics they like to see.

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: T202 and S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
If you're asking in relation to what A&O look for in their trainees, this is briefly detailed on their graduate website, but if you scroll through their podcast and social media, they do touch on some key characteristics they like to see.
Thank you so much, I will have a look

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
One of my non-law friends have applied to A&O, and was sent a link to the SJT. Upon clicking that link, it said 404: Error not found... Anyone else experiencing this problem? I haven't applied to A&O yet, otherwise would've contacted grad rec? Just wanting to see if this is a common error.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
One of my non-law friends have applied to A&O, and was sent a link to the SJT. Upon clicking that link, it said 404: Error not found... Anyone else experiencing this problem? I haven't applied to A&O yet, otherwise would've contacted grad rec? Just wanting to see if this is a common error.
I’d recommend they contact grad rec as soon as possible so as to not go beyond the deadline given. It could be a technical issue happening to everyone but at least then it’ll be flagged and they can raise it with the relevant provider of the test :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just a general note on the SJT for A&O, I can’t recall whether it was timed but I don’t think you’re able to go back and change answers. I think once you respond the answer is basically locked in unlike with WG tests where you can go back and review what you put. Just wanted to flag this in case it’s the same this year.

Reactions: H.N.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.