Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Allen & Overy Vacation Scheme 2017

How did you find the Allen & Overy vacation scheme?

There was an induction and icebreaker on the first day then the next 2 weeks were based on departmental work, social activities and workshops. You are given a trainee buddee and you will be sat with an associate or a partner in their office. The workload was not too heavy. I barely had any work to do in my first week as my first supervisor had just returned from holiday, although I had much more work in my second week as my second supervisor got me more involved in his transactions. The socials were great, there was: a pub quiz, a treasure hunt, and a dinner with some partners at a fancy hotel.

What were the vacation scheme assessments like at Allen & Overy?

There was a contract drafting task in the first week and a group presentation on aspects of the firm's CSR work for which you are given a detailed brief. There is no partner interview for a training contract, instead you are assessed on your performance on the scheme itself.

What advice would you give to future vacation schemers attending the Allen & Overy vacation scheme?

Be yourself, be friendly, ask lots of questions both at the workshops and in the office with your supervisor as this shows you are interested. Try to get involved in the firm's activities outside work such as the choir or football, although this isn't compulsory. Use the gym, and the roof gardens. They are great! Try to keep a note of the tasks you do for your own records and for your CV.

On average, what time did you arrive and leave each day?

I arrived at 09:30 and left at around 17:45.

How much were you paid for the Allen & Overy vacation scheme?

£450 per week.

How would you rate your overall vacation scheme experience at Allen & Overy?

4/5

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.