Allen & Overy

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    Just wondering how everyone's preparing for Allen & Overy's virtual AC this year?
    From the email invitation it seems they're keeping the two interview structure from previous years, one case study (albeit probably not a group exercise?) and one competency based interview.
    I'm particularly worried about the case study as I've read we're supposed to know about things like balance sheets?

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
    Congrats on your AC. Is this for the winter scheme? My friend last year said that A&O did not have a group exercise anyway for its usual ACs so if they didn't indicate a group exercise this time, it's probably consistent.

Reading a balance sheet is not entirely difficult - YouTube should help easily with that. I would also probably get a basic understanding of the type of financial products available in the market, maybe the pros and cons of owning/issuing these financial products. I would also get a basic understand of basic commercial terms. Would also read up on how M&As work in general.

charlottekillen

Oct 21, 2020
    Hi guys - I have my AC with A&O next month. The day consists of two interviews (one case study interview and one 'scenario' based interview).

Does anyone know any of the typical questions A&O ask? Is the case study interview a presentation?

Any tips on the above would be appreciated!

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
    Highest Rated Member
    May 4, 2020
    Just wondering how everyone's preparing for Allen & Overy's virtual AC this year?
    From the email invitation it seems they're keeping the two interview structure from previous years, one case study (albeit probably not a group exercise?) and one competency based interview.
    I'm particularly worried about the case study as I've read we're supposed to know about things like balance sheets?

I’ve only ever once had an interview task where I needed to read/talk about financial statements - it seems quite rare to get in an interview. That said, the basics are all you need, and are really quite simple. I used this webpage: https://www.wallstreetmojo.com/financial-statements/

I
    t took me less than 10 minutes to get to grips with it, and was all I needed in the interview for going through the statements. Remember, this isn’t an accounting job you’re applying for, they don’t expect in-depth knowledge and expertise. That said, a little base knowledge is always handy to have.

H.N.

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 22
    Jul 28, 2020
    Im a future trainee at A&O so I’ll try and explain :

The first part of the interview is the case study. they effectively bombard you with a book of material and you’ve got to synthesise that info and then present back to a Partner for about 10 mins and then you take 45-50 mins of questions.

top tip- spend around just over 1/2 of the time given to look at the material and take it all in, and then the remainder preparing to present. It is so so so crucial that even if you don’t understand what material is put in front of you, that you demonstrate that you can consider small issues, commercially. So thinking about potential positives/challenges for the firm and for clients and then think about scale too- long term and short term.
    Structure is also really important. with the nature of this exercise being quite intense, people will just present back without really thinking about structure. So if you’re able to organise your findings into a logical thought pattern, you’re already ahead. The questioning is to find out the extent to which you understood the material and again checking whether you’re able to relate things to the firm and commercial issues. It is very important that you relate everything you say back to both the firm and the client and logically explain why certain issues may have different outcomes dependant upon varying situations. That way you’re demonstrating a flexible mindset- a key characteristic. You’ll be pushed. A lot. But what they’re also looking for is composure, that you can keep calm under pressure.

Re scenario-based interview- so unique to this firm compared to many City firms, A&O do a scenario based interview instead of one on competencies. This is because they get that not everyone has opportunities to dabble in legal and non-legal work experience and so for some people it can be difficult to fully come up with competencies. On top of that, you can revise for a competency interview; they want to see your genuine thinking pattern. Approach this exercise with logic. Do not not not overthink it. What they find is that people tend to over complicate things to demonstrate they know what work a lawyer does but that goes against them. I’d say the best way to prep for this is to think back to your SJT, and the “most likely” options given when you do it. Use management or recruiting companies resources online to practice- its a common interview type for consulting companies. So an example could be “you’re working on a deal and you’ve got a deadline tomorrow evening and the bank hasn’t signed some key documents. It is now the afternoon. It is crucial that the documents are signed. What would you do”. So in this scenario you’d explain you’d check with colleagues first to see if they knew anything about when the bank tends to respond e.g its known that JP usually get back to emails approx 4pm. Then you’d call the bank- explain why that’s more effective than emailing. Then you’d talk about how you’d go about talking to them- firm, persistent but not annoying. Arrange a follow up.

Etc etc etc , it’s about being logical and explaining reasons for that logic.

My AC felt like a car crash but it was the only AC I did where i actually came out of it happy knowing that I’d learnt something purely out of the nature of the exercises.

This is a lot of detail, but it’s nothing more than what TCLA have on their interview experiences or what a quick google / meaningful chat at an open day would tell you. All the questions are different as it depends on who your Partner is and what you have in your presentation so I’d say preparing not knowing what Qs you’re going to receive would be a good bet as it would probably allow you to answer more holistically and in line with the case study context.

Last edited:

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
    Im a future trainee at A&O so I’ll try and explain :

The first part of the interview is the case study. they effectively bombard you with a book of material and you’ve got to synthesise that info and then present back to a Partner for about 10 mins and then you take 45-50 mins of questions.

top tip- spend around just over 1/2 of the time given to look at the material and take it all in, and then the remainder preparing to present. It is so so so crucial that even if you don’t understand what material is put in front of you, that you demonstrate that you can consider small issues, commercially. So thinking about potential positives/challenges for the firm and for clients and then think about scale too- long term and short term.
    Structure is also really important. with the nature of this exercise being quite intense, people will just present back without really thinking about structure. So if you’re able to organise your findings into a logical thought pattern, you’re already ahead. The questioning is to find out the extent to which you understood the material and again checking whether you’re able to relate things to the firm and commercial issues. It is very important that you relate everything you say back to both the firm and the client and logically explain why certain issues may have different outcomes dependant upon varying situations. That way you’re demonstrating a flexible mindset- a key characteristic. You’ll be pushed. A lot. But what they’re also looking for is composure, that you can keep calm under pressure.

Re scenario-based interview- so unique to this firm compared to many City firms, A&O do a scenario based interview instead of one on competencies. This is because they get that not everyone has opportunities to dabble in legal and non-legal work experience and so for some people it can be difficult to fully come up with competencies. On top of that, you can revise for a competency interview; they want to see your genuine thinking pattern. Approach this exercise with logic. Do not not not overthink it. What they find is that people tend to over complicate things to demonstrate they know what work a lawyer does but that goes against them. I’d say the best way to prep for this is to think back to your SJT, and the “most likely” options given when you do it. Use management or recruiting companies resources online to practice- its a common interview type for consulting companies. So an example could be “you’re working on a deal and you’ve got a deadline tomorrow evening and the bank hasn’t signed some key documents. It is now the afternoon. It is crucial that the documents are signed. What would you do”. So in this scenario you’d explain you’d check with colleagues first to see if they knew anything about when the bank tends to respond e.g its known that JP usually get back to emails approx 4pm. Then you’d call the bank- explain why that’s more effective than emailing. Then you’d talk about how you’d go about talking to them- firm, persistent but not annoying. Arrange a follow up.

Etc etc etc , it’s about being logical and explaining reasons for that logic.

My AC felt like a car crash but it was the only AC I did where i actually came out of it happy knowing that I’d learnt something purely out of the nature of the exercises.

This is a lot of detail, but it’s nothing more than what TCLA have on their interview experiences or what a quick google / meaningful chat at an open day would tell you. All the questions are different as it depends on who your Partner is and what you have in your presentation so I’d say preparing not knowing what Qs you’re going to receive would be a good bet as it would probably allow you to answer more holistically and in line with the case study context.

Thank you so much for all this. I have an AC in about two weeks and it's my first AC. Did A&O ask you questions about 'Why A&O', 'Who are our competitors', 'Talk about commercial awareness', and did they go through your application form? I'm just wary of the amount of time I have and what I need to prepare.

H.N.

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 22
    Jul 28, 2020
    Thank you so much for all this. I have an AC in about two weeks and it's my first AC. Did A&O ask you questions about 'Why A&O', 'Who are our competitors', 'Talk about commercial awareness', and did they go through your application form? I'm just wary of the amount of time I have and what I need to prepare.
    They didn’t go through anything application related with me.

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Hi everyone, does anyone know how to add more a levels in the “higher education (college/uni)” section in the app? It doesn’t allow me to add no more than 2 a levels for some reason. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

PP27

Distinguished Member
    Oct 11, 2019
    hello, im trying to work out how to value a company for my incoming A&O interview. There seems to be soooo many ways to do this on the internet and it isnt really clear. How would you do it using ebitda?

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
    hello, im trying to work out how to value a company for my incoming A&O interview. There seems to be soooo many ways to do this on the internet and it isnt really clear. How would you do it using ebitda?

The AC docs give you a formula to calculate the value.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: PP27

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.