Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I wanted to share a recent report by Allen & Overy, some very interesting conclusions.

The Future for Legal Talent
    A major study into how lawyers view their careers in a new world

http://www.allenovery.com/news/en-gb/articles/Pages/The-Future-for-Legal-Talent-Report.aspx.

Here's a summary; I've highlighted some of the points I found interesting.
    • Whilst 55% of law students said they have a clear vision on the direction of their legal career, that figure fell to 23% in the first five years of practice.
    • 81% of current lawyers think many young lawyers won't feel the path to partnership is worth it, although students disagreed with this.
    • 83% lawyers interviewed think that lawyers starting out now will have a different career experience compared to 5/10 years ago.
    • 81% students believe tech will let them focus on the more creative aspects of the legal role. Conversely, 5% believe it'll increase the risk of redundancy.
    • 84% think they'll need different skills today compared to 5/10 years ago, 30% felt the existing training adequately prepared them for it.
    • Some of the most important skill sets they're looking for include technological expertise, commercial awareness, building a personal brand and a network of contacts and peers.
    • There's a big interest in further learning and training from students as many feel ill-prepared. Many students expect to return to study at some point.
    • Work/life balance was identified as the most important criterion for career success and almost half said they expect to work less than five days a week.
    • Allen & Overy's research show - alongside legal expertise - increased interpersonal skills, adaptability and emotional intelligence will be the most important skills for lawyers considering a move into legal consultancy.
    Allen & Overy pose some very interesting conclusions:
    • "What development opportunities do law schools, firms and legal departments need to offer all lawyers – from students to the very experienced – to ensure they are ready for the challenges of tomorrow?".
    • Their research also shows that "existing structures are no longer fit for purpose" in terms of what lawyers expect in their future careers.

Last edited:

Campbell44

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I wanted to share a recent report by Allen & Overy, some very interesting conclusions.

The Future for Legal Talent
    A major study into how lawyers view their careers in a new world

http://www.allenovery.com/news/en-gb/articles/Pages/The-Future-for-Legal-Talent-Report.aspx.

Here's a summary; I've highlighted some of the points I found interesting.
    • Whilst 55% of law students said they have a clear vision on the direction of their legal career, that figure fell to 23% in the first five years of practice.
    • 81% of current lawyers think many young lawyers won't feel the path to partnership is worth it, although students disagreed with this.
    • 83% lawyers interviewed think that lawyers starting out now will have a different career experience compared to 5/10 years ago.
    • 81% students believe tech will let them focus on the more creative aspects of the legal role. Conversely, 5% believe it'll increase the risk of redundancy.
    • 84% think they'll need different skills today compared to 5/10 years ago, 30% felt the existing training adequately prepared them for it.
    • Some of the most important skill sets they're looking for include technological expertise, commercial awareness, building a personal brand and a network of contacts and peers.
    • There's a big interest in further learning and training from students as many feel ill-prepared. Many students expect to return to study at some point.
    • Work/life balance was identified as the most important criterion for career success and almost half said they expect to work less than five days a week.
    • Allen & Overy's research show - alongside legal expertise - increased interpersonal skills, adaptability and emotional intelligence will be the most important skills for lawyers considering a move into legal consultancy.
    Allen & Overy pose some very interesting conclusions:
    • "What development opportunities do law schools, firms and legal departments need to offer all lawyers – from students to the very experienced – to ensure they are ready for the challenges of tomorrow?".
    • Their research also shows that "existing structures are no longer fit for purpose" in terms of what lawyers expect in their future careers.

I think the article is only accessible to companies so thanks for the summary :). Am definitely starting to pick up patterns in these talks/articles about the future and what kind of skills law firms want students to have.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I think the article is only accessible to companies so thanks for the summary :). Am definitely starting to pick up patterns in these talks/articles about the future and what kind of skills law firms want students to have.

Agreed!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.