Answering interview questions

CL-BD

Premium Member
Nov 19, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have an upcoming interview and would appreciate any guidance on this matter.

My application included answers to the questions "why you" and "how did you come to the decision to apply to us". Suppose they ask these questions (or any application question) in the interview albeit with different wording, will I be "marked down" if I answer using the same/similar points I stated on my application?

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have an upcoming interview and would appreciate any guidance on this matter.

My application included answers to the questions "why you" and "how did you come to the decision to apply to us". Suppose they ask these questions (or any application question) in the interview albeit with different wording, will I be "marked down" if I answer using the same/similar points I stated on my application?

No, not at all. I think you'll find in the interview it just gives you an opportunity to expand a little without the constraint of a word limit.

If the process is CV blind, it is essential that you go back to the very basics and expand.

if they have your application in front of you, I'd rattle off your answer but also you want to "bring it to life". Convey your passion with the aid of NVC's etc :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not if the meaning is the same - although it would be odd if your answers were literally word for word (or near enough) what you wrote on your application. An interview is typically your opportunity to go into more depth or more specifics than an application will allow.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Max23B0

Mar 23, 2020
Hi! Hey don't be afraid the main thing is to be confident and answer accurately and clearly know what you want and go to your goal! They need people with clear goals so that you don't mumble on it! be tough sometimes without it anywhere!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.