Any LLM student here.. would you recommend doing one?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I was in a fortunate position that I didn't have to rely on a student finance loan, so I can't advise you on that. I can give you the reasons I did my LLM: (1) I wanted to shift my focus to commercial law, and really specialize, (2) I wanted a renowned university on my CV, (3) I wanted the chance to network with big law firms. It ultimately bumped my CV up a bit. If you feel like that would be the case for you (and, again, you can afford it), then I would recommend it. If you feel like you went to a good uni for your undergrad and did well there, then definitely don't feel pressure to do one.

Legalregal

Valued Member
    Jan 13, 2021
    Did you feel that you went into more depth than at undergrad? I loved my final year of my LLB and would enjoy to explore more.

I got a first from a RG uni and the LLM would be at a marginally better uni so not doing it to bolster my academics. that’s actually what is putting me off- my time would probably be better spent getting some experience.

I can afford it as much as I can afford my LLB!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Did you feel that you went into more depth than at undergrad? I loved my final year of my LLB and would enjoy to explore more.

I got a first from a RG uni and the LLM would be at a marginally better uni so not doing it to bolster my academics. that’s actually what is putting me off- my time would probably be better spent getting some experience.

I can afford it as much as I can afford my LLB!
    My undergrad was very broad and had a lot of public law modules. My LLM specialized in Litigation and Dispute Resolution, which set me on the path to my current job as a DR paralegal. So it definitely went into more depth in the topics I enjoyed.

If you're not bolstering your academics, it's probably not worth it. I went from a small European university to a school ranked top 10 worldwide, so it made a big difference for me. Your time (and money) is probably better spent investing in yourself in other ways to get more experience under your belt!

If you really want to do an LLM, there's nothing stopping you from doing one once you start practice. Lots of people in my LLM were fully-qualified lawyers who decided they wanted to do the LLM after going into practice, and got the support from their firms to do so. So I'd recommend doing that if down the line you still feel that you'd like to specialize :)

nehasunil88

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 7, 2021
    Hello!
    Would anyone be able to answer if undertaking the three year LLB and then the LLM makes your degree a four-year one. So if you are in your third year of the LLB does that make you a penultimate year student?
    Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello!
    Would anyone be able to answer if undertaking the three year LLB and then the LLM makes your degree a four-year one. So if you are in your third year of the LLB does that make you a penultimate year student?
    Thank you!
    They will be considered separate qualifications.

You won’t be considered a penultimate student, even if you are going on to do a LLM. But you should speak to firms directly to see whether they would consider you an exception and allow you to apply. However, given most LLMs are not confirmed until much later in the academic year, you’d be unlikely to guarantee you would be on a LLM course at the time you are applying for most firms.

Reactions: nehasunil88

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.