Appearance at law firms?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2707

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any concrete advice on looking professional and put together at law firms? I was wondering if dyed hair (eg: blonde dip dyes on an Asian woman) would be okay? This is as back home it was unacceptable to have any radically different coloured hair. Additionally, for make up, would winged eyeliner be alright etc. I was just asking for general feedback and advice. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any concrete advice on looking professional and put together at law firms? I was wondering if dyed hair (eg: blonde dip dyes on an Asian woman) would be okay? This is as back home it was unacceptable to have any radically different coloured hair. Additionally, for make up, would winged eyeliner be alright etc. I was just asking for general feedback and advice. Thank you!

personally I’d avoid both but it depends on the extreme of what you are saying. If they are very stark contrast colours in your hair, I would generally avoid and go with something more natural or consistent.

Winged eyeliner depends on how big the wing is. A small flick is fine, as long as the rest of your make up is fairly subtle. If you are looking like you are about to go out, it’s probably best to tone it down.

most firms are still fairly conservative - there will be some exceptions, but as someone who was picked up for their style in two different firms, I would always air on the side of caution (eg don’t go with either until you are in the firm and can see if it “fits in”)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.