Application Anxiety

LU123

Standard Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

I'm wondering if you can help me. By way of introduction, I'm 23, I work in a large law firm as a paralegal and I'm currently studying the LPC part time. I attempted 5 applications last year, only reaching the second stage for 2 of them. This year will be my first official year of really trying for a TC, as in the past I've never really felt 100% ready.

I really struggle with applications. I've read guides, articles, watched videos, had help from friends but nothing seems to rid me of this anxious application feeling. I found last year that it took me around 3 weeks to complete 1 application, which really isn't ideal. At the moment, I'm attempting to complete an application for an open day that has questions similar to a TC, so I'm using it as a tester. I need to submit it very soon, but even that is taking me longer than it should.

I read through the questions and plan the answers, after which I physically can't start the answer, it's like my brain just goes into a melt down.

I think I'm overthinking my content too much, which then has a knock on effect on my confidence overall, which then blocks my ability to answer a question to a high standard.

I know it's definitely a personal issue that only I can solve but I'm just stuck on what to do. I don't know what the route problem is!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This may come across as a little blunt, but your issue here is your confidence and perception of what is happening

To make only 5 applications last year and to "only reach the second stage for two of them" is actually an incredibly success rate. Based on that percentage rate you are way ahead of the general application pool.

It is strange that you also don't see those applications as your first official year of "really trying" - you clearly did really try last year with the applications you submitted if you spent 3 weeks on them each and had the success you had! I do agree with you that three weeks is far too long and probably unproductive so I think it will be important to get this time down.

Did you have the same issue with writing university assessments or with your LPC? If not, I wonder if there is something you can take from that to help you focus.

Just some initial ideas to help you focus on getting your ideas down on paper:
  • Write down key words or phrases for each answer - this may help you then start a flow of writing
  • Potentially set yourself a strict deadline for each of the stages of your approach, e.g. plan by this date, first draft a day later, friend to review by the end of that week, redraft by the weekend.
  • You may also want to give yourself a strict time deadline to answer a question. For instance, if an answer to a question is 300 words, could you get that done in 30-45 minutes after your plan?
  • Once you have done your plan, maybe take an initial break from it and then try to actually write it with a fresh mind rather than when you have already been sat there thinking about it for some time.
  • Save your answers somewhere suitable so that you can reference them when making similar applications with similar questions.
Other people might have some other ideas for how to tackle this too.

My main thing I would want you to take away though is that clearly your answers are of a high standard - you got to the second stage in 40% of last year's applications! I suspect that is probably 2-4 times the amount of the average applicant!

LU123

Standard Member
Nov 8, 2019
This may come across as a little blunt, but your issue here is your confidence and perception of what is happening

To make only 5 applications last year and to "only reach the second stage for two of them" is actually an incredibly success rate. Based on that percentage rate you are way ahead of the general application pool.

It is strange that you also don't see those applications as your first official year of "really trying" - you clearly did really try last year with the applications you submitted if you spent 3 weeks on them each and had the success you had! I do agree with you that three weeks is far too long and probably unproductive so I think it will be important to get this time down.

Did you have the same issue with writing university assessments or with your LPC? If not, I wonder if there is something you can take from that to help you focus.

Just some initial ideas to help you focus on getting your ideas down on paper:
  • Write down key words or phrases for each answer - this may help you then start a flow of writing
  • Potentially set yourself a strict deadline for each of the stages of your approach, e.g. plan by this date, first draft a day later, friend to review by the end of that week, redraft by the weekend.
  • You may also want to give yourself a strict time deadline to answer a question. For instance, if an answer to a question is 300 words, could you get that done in 30-45 minutes after your plan?
  • Once you have done your plan, maybe take an initial break from it and then try to actually write it with a fresh mind rather than when you have already been sat there thinking about it for some time.
  • Save your answers somewhere suitable so that you can reference them when making similar applications with similar questions.
Other people might have some other ideas for how to tackle this too.

My main thing I would want you to take away though is that clearly your answers are of a high standard - you got to the second stage in 40% of last year's applications! I suspect that is probably 2-4 times the amount of the average applicant!

No not blunt at all, I really appreciate the advice and you're definitely right. My issue is also comparing myself to other people and their achievements, which I shouldn't be doing.

You're also right about my applications last year, I hadn't really thought of it that way. I think because generally, the majority of people seem to submit 10 applications and I can only manage around 5 due to the length of time it takes me. I put myself down too much, which is a bad habit.

Yeah during university I struggled with essays etc, although my role as a paralegal requires lengthy emails and letters to the clients with advice, and funnily enough I'm perfectly fine with that.

Do you have any advice on opening sentences to answering questions such as, 'why have you decided to pursue a career in law' or 'why are you interested in X firm?' - the only thing I seem to come up with is 'I am interested in.... because'.

I will definitely be taking advantage of the help offered by TCLA this year for sure!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No not blunt at all, I really appreciate the advice and you're definitely right. My issue is also comparing myself to other people and their achievements, which I shouldn't be doing.

You're also right about my applications last year, I hadn't really thought of it that way. I think because generally, the majority of people seem to submit 10 applications and I can only manage around 5 due to the length of time it takes me. I put myself down too much, which is a bad habit.

Yeah during university I struggled with essays etc, although my role as a paralegal requires lengthy emails and letters to the clients with advice, and funnily enough I'm perfectly fine with that.

Do you have any advice on opening sentences to answering questions such as, 'why have you decided to pursue a career in law' or 'why are you interested in X firm?' - the only thing I seem to come up with is 'I am interested in.... because'.

I will definitely be taking advantage of the help offered by TCLA this year for sure!

I suspect that with your paralegal work you know you have a fixed amount of time and resources to complete the task and therefore just get on with it as you know it has to be delivered within those frameworks. Often applications can be a pain because you can dedicate much more time and have nearly an unlimited amount of resources to complete them - you then just got lost in a sea of too much information and too much time. Maybe setting yourself more stringent deadlines to draft answers to questions may help and work more like how you are used to with your paralegal responsibilities?

The comparing yourself to others is common - but dangerous. You tend to only hear people's success stories, whether its through your uni cohort or through things like LinkedIn. This means the perception you have of other people's success is skewed. Although things are changing, and particularly with this forum I really believe people's transparency about the good and bad of applying is starting to become more apparent. Try to focus on your achievements - you don't have to be like other people, you just have to present the best version of yourself and your achievements. They are clearly there for some people to see, as you wouldn't have had the success you have had so far with your applications and also with your paralegal role. Belief in yourself is an important characteristic for any lawyer/solicitor, so if this is something you feel you need to develop, ensure you spend some time/effort into this too - otherwise there is a risk that if you don't believe in yourself, neither will the people who are interviewing you/assessing you.

This is probably going to be particularly unhelpful but my advice with opening sentences is maybe not to write them first! If that is the thing that is holding you back, write your other paragraphs or bits that you feel more comfortable with first. The opening sentence can often be the least important part of the application - its just literally introducing you to the evidence you are about to show that actually demonstrates your motivation for commercial law or the law firm in question. You may find that doing it in this backwards way that you may inadvertently write your opening sentence or you may not need one at all!

• 🤝
Reactions: LU123, Jaysen and Daniel Boden

LU123

Standard Member
Nov 8, 2019
I suspect that with your paralegal work you know you have a fixed amount of time and resources to complete the task and therefore just get on with it as you know it has to be delivered within those frameworks. Often applications can be a pain because you can dedicate much more time and have nearly an unlimited amount of resources to complete them - you then just got lost in a sea of too much information and too much time. Maybe setting yourself more stringent deadlines to draft answers to questions may help and work more like how you are used to with your paralegal responsibilities?

The comparing yourself to others is common - but dangerous. You tend to only hear people's success stories, whether its through your uni cohort or through things like LinkedIn. This means the perception you have of other people's success is skewed. Although things are changing, and particularly with this forum I really believe people's transparency about the good and bad of applying is starting to become more apparent. Try to focus on your achievements - you don't have to be like other people, you just have to present the best version of yourself and your achievements. They are clearly there for some people to see, as you wouldn't have had the success you have had so far with your applications and also with your paralegal role. Belief in yourself is an important characteristic for any lawyer/solicitor, so if this is something you feel you need to develop, ensure you spend some time/effort into this too - otherwise there is a risk that if you don't believe in yourself, neither will the people who are interviewing you/assessing you.

This is probably going to be particularly unhelpful but my advice with opening sentences is maybe not to write them first! If that is the thing that is holding you back, write your other paragraphs or bits that you feel more comfortable with first. The opening sentence can often be the least important part of the application - its just literally introducing you to the evidence you are about to show that actually demonstrates your motivation for commercial law or the law firm in question. You may find that doing it in this backwards way that you may inadvertently write your opening sentence or you may not need one at all!

Thank you so much Jessica, I'm glad I posted on the forum as you've given me the best advice I've ever received. I will have another look at my open day application tonight with more confidence.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Lucy x

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and Daniel Boden

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
@LU123

@Jessica Booker has said much of what I could and more! But I felt it might be helpful for you to hear your situation isn’t dissimilar from mine. I only made around 6 apps I think in each year and that was a figure I was happy with. I was always picky on the firms I wanted to potentially join and it also came down to time for me. I also spent probably an unreasonable amount of time on apps (this wasn’t really because I struggled with the wording or getting things down but more so because I am a perfectionist and just favour taking my time to refine something). I do think the best apps should take time but maybe just give yourself 30 mins a day to work on it. This will maybe help as you have a dedicated time to focus on the task and you may feel less daunted and overwhelmed by taking incremental stages to complete the app. I also think that there is a lot to be said in taking a day or two away from An app to truly ‘read’ it again.

I think that it’s very common to feel as you do. Applications are your first hurdle and can make or break your potential candidacy with a firm for that cycle- that’s a big deal. But you have to believe that you can write a great app and as Jess has said, you evidently can!! Try to diminish the feeling of ‘all or nothing’ with apps. Not every one will succeed- even the strongest app writers will get attention least one rejection at the app stage. That rejection has no bearing on your candidacy or how strong you are, it simply means for that particular firm there are other candidates who better suit their culture and approach.

I really hope this helps and glad you posted this- you’re absolutely not alone and I’m sure many candidates will feel reassured to hear they’re not as well :)

• 🤝
Reactions: ZH

LU123

Standard Member
Nov 8, 2019
@LU123

@Jessica Booker has said much of what I could and more! But I felt it might be helpful for you to hear your situation isn’t dissimilar from mine. I only made around 6 apps I think in each year and that was a figure I was happy with. I was always picky on the firms I wanted to potentially join and it also came down to time for me. I also spent probably an unreasonable amount of time on apps (this wasn’t really because I struggled with the wording or getting things down but more so because I am a perfectionist and just favour taking my time to refine something). I do think the best apps should take time but maybe just give yourself 30 mins a day to work on it. This will maybe help as you have a dedicated time to focus on the task and you may feel less daunted and overwhelmed by taking incremental stages to complete the app. I also think that there is a lot to be said in taking a day or two away from An app to truly ‘read’ it again.

I think that it’s very common to feel as you do. Applications are your first hurdle and can make or break your potential candidacy with a firm for that cycle- that’s a big deal. But you have to believe that you can write a great app and as Jess has said, you evidently can!! Try to diminish the feeling of ‘all or nothing’ with apps. Not every one will succeed- even the strongest app writers will get attention least one rejection at the app stage. That rejection has no bearing on your candidacy or how strong you are, it simply means for that particular firm there are other candidates who better suit their culture and approach.

I really hope this helps and glad you posted this- you’re absolutely not alone and I’m sure many candidates will feel reassured to hear they’re not as well :)

Thank you for responding Alice, I really appreciate your advice.

I allocated 30 minutes to my app this morning before starting today's LPC work and I was honestly so productive! I took Jessica's advice on board and started with the parts I felt comfortable with rather than struggling with the opening sentence of the answer, which is what has been bothering me. I'm just going to take my time and try not to overthink the answers. Like you say, there's nothing wrong with an application taking a while, I know when the deadlines are so as long as I give myself ample time to get the app finished and perfected then it will work.

I must admit, I am finding things quite tough at the moment. I'm working full time, whilst studying the LPC part-time and trying to write applications, so I am a little flustered. I just need to find the right balance!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you for responding Alice, I really appreciate your advice.

I allocated 30 minutes to my app this morning before starting today's LPC work and I was honestly so productive! I took Jessica's advice on board and started with the parts I felt comfortable with rather than struggling with the opening sentence of the answer, which is what has been bothering me. I'm just going to take my time and try not to overthink the answers. Like you say, there's nothing wrong with an application taking a while, I know when the deadlines are so as long as I give myself ample time to get the app finished and perfected then it will work.

I must admit, I am finding things quite tough at the moment. I'm working full time, whilst studying the LPC part-time and trying to write applications, so I am a little flustered. I just need to find the right balance!
You’ve got a lot going on and I can understand just how demanding that must feel. Like Jess said, a 40% success rate is an incredible achievement and so I think you can afford to do say 5-7 apps which you’ll have spent some time and effort on. It’s really important to schedule time in for you. I think it’s easy to feel guilty for taking time off to do the things you enjoy and to relax but it’s so important and something I’ve tried to become better at. If you ever feel overwhelmed or feel like you just would like some friendly reassurance we are always here to listen. You’re doing an exceptional job and you should be really proud of everything you’re doing and achieving :)

• 🤝
Reactions: LU123 and Jessica Booker

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hello,

I'm wondering if you can help me. By way of introduction, I'm 23, I work in a large law firm as a paralegal and I'm currently studying the LPC part time. I attempted 5 applications last year, only reaching the second stage for 2 of them. This year will be my first official year of really trying for a TC, as in the past I've never really felt 100% ready.

I really struggle with applications. I've read guides, articles, watched videos, had help from friends but nothing seems to rid me of this anxious application feeling. I found last year that it took me around 3 weeks to complete 1 application, which really isn't ideal. At the moment, I'm attempting to complete an application for an open day that has questions similar to a TC, so I'm using it as a tester. I need to submit it very soon, but even that is taking me longer than it should.

I read through the questions and plan the answers, after which I physically can't start the answer, it's like my brain just goes into a melt down.

I think I'm overthinking my content too much, which then has a knock on effect on my confidence overall, which then blocks my ability to answer a question to a high standard.

I know it's definitely a personal issue that only I can solve but I'm just stuck on what to do. I don't know what the route problem is!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hi Lucy

Thanks for sharing this, really touched by your honest post. Just firstly well done for achieving what you already have - it definitely sounds like you're on the right tracks, with a bit more push, you'll be achieving more.

I was in a similar position to you last year, working full time and studying the LPC part time and looking back I probably regret not putting in enough effort to my career so WELL DONE for doing that already. If I were to give some advice it would be:
- try to allocate some time every week dedicated to your applications - apply for a wide range of opportunities if you can - open days, networking events, vac schemes (although your paralegal role sounds like you're getting some good experience!) and direct TCs.
- the application cycle has just started - you have a whole year ahead of you but priorities come first
- if you have a plan in place, make a list of the firms you want to tackle - get to really know them, events, open days, grad recruitment etc then start to tackle their applications, what are they asking, use resources, sign up to a mentoring scheme if you feel you will benefit from this, reflect on what went wrong last year, how you can improve.
- Resources: getting your applications reviewed

Remember your first draft will not be the final draft so when you feel motivated to write and have ideas in your mind, jot them down so they're in front of you then start to edit.

I was trying to not make this post long but I guess there's a lot to say! All in all, learn from the past, give it your BEST this year and celebrate your achievements so far! I recently shared this post which you might find useful (although it might be more geared at undergrad students: https://zaiblogs.wixsite.com/blog/post/for-aspiring-solicitors)

Happy to DM if you want :)

Best
Z

LU123

Standard Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hi Lucy

Thanks for sharing this, really touched by your honest post. Just firstly well done for achieving what you already have - it definitely sounds like you're on the right tracks, with a bit more push, you'll be achieving more.

I was in a similar position to you last year, working full time and studying the LPC part time and looking back I probably regret not putting in enough effort to my career so WELL DONE for doing that already. If I were to give some advice it would be:
- try to allocate some time every week dedicated to your applications - apply for a wide range of opportunities if you can - open days, networking events, vac schemes (although your paralegal role sounds like you're getting some good experience!) and direct TCs.
- the application cycle has just started - you have a whole year ahead of you but priorities come first
- if you have a plan in place, make a list of the firms you want to tackle - get to really know them, events, open days, grad recruitment etc then start to tackle their applications, what are they asking, use resources, sign up to a mentoring scheme if you feel you will benefit from this, reflect on what went wrong last year, how you can improve.
- Resources: getting your applications reviewed

Remember your first draft will not be the final draft so when you feel motivated to write and have ideas in your mind, jot them down so they're in front of you then start to edit.

I was trying to not make this post long but I guess there's a lot to say! All in all, learn from the past, give it your BEST this year and celebrate your achievements so far! I recently shared this post which you might find useful (although it might be more geared at undergrad students: https://zaiblogs.wixsite.com/blog/post/for-aspiring-solicitors)

Happy to DM if you want :)

Best
Z

Hi Zainab,

So sorry for the late response! Thank you for responding, I really appreciate your advice.

Since I posted, I've almost finished my application for the open day I mentioned at the top of the post, and that's on following all of the advice I've received. I really couldn't be any more grateful. It certainly helps to receive a positive push from different people, and not just friends and family.

I'm definitely ready to gain a TC this year, so hopefully my determination is a drive to success :)

Thanks again,

Lucy

• 🤝
Reactions: ZH

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi Zainab,

So sorry for the late response! Thank you for responding, I really appreciate your advice.

Since I posted, I've almost finished my application for the open day I mentioned at the top of the post, and that's on following all of the advice I've received. I really couldn't be any more grateful. It certainly helps to receive a positive push from different people, and not just friends and family.

I'm definitely ready to gain a TC this year, so hopefully my determination is a drive to success :)

Thanks again,

Lucy

Sounds amazing Lucy!! Love the determination - best of luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.