Application question - experiences/commercially focused

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    In a question that asks you about your skills/work experience/hobbies and how they make you a commercially focussed solicitor of the future would you focus primarily on commercial awareness or discuss teamwork etc too? Also, would you spend time saying what a commercial solicitor does or is that just wasting words?

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    In a question that asks you about your skills/work experience/hobbies and how they make you a commercially focussed solicitor of the future would you focus primarily on commercial awareness or discuss teamwork etc too? Also, would you spend time saying what a commercial solicitor does or is that just wasting words?

Thanks!

I'd concentrate on how they make you a commercially-focused solicitor of the future. That can encompass a variety of things though - from understanding the needs of clients to supporting the law firm as a business.

When reading your answer, it should be evident that you understand what commercial solicitors do, it's up to you how you want to go about demonstrating this.

Some candidates start with 'commercially-focused solicitors need to be XYZ' and then they explain how they have those skills. Personally, I prefer it when candidates do it in the context of answering the question (e.g. when you are justifying how your skills make you a commercially-focused solicitor, you can indicate the situations where it will be useful) - I find the answer flows better that way.

I also wouldn't forget about the 'of the future' part of the question. If I'm reading that correctly, I take it to mean it's not just how you are suited to be any commercial solicitor, but specifically, one that will be prepared for the kind of changes/opportunities/challenges that will be present in the future.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I'd concentrate on how they make you a commercially-focused solicitor of the future. That can encompass a variety of things though - from understanding the needs of clients to supporting the law firm as a business.

When reading your answer, it should be evident that you understand what commercial solicitors do, it's up to you how you want to go about demonstrating this.

Some candidates start with 'commercially-focused solicitors need to be XYZ' and then they explain how they have those skills. Personally, I prefer it when candidates do it in the context of answering the question (e.g. when you are justifying how your skills make you a commercially-focused solicitor, you can indicate the situations where it will be useful) - I find the answer flows better that way.

I also wouldn't forget about the 'of the future' part of the question. If I'm reading that correctly, I take it to mean it's not just how you are suited to be any commercial solicitor, but specifically, one that will be prepared for the kind of changes/opportunities/challenges that will be present in the future.

Thanks Jaysen, that’s really useful. I’m going to add a bit more detail to my answer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I agree with Jaysen’s point - the “of the future” is an important differentiator in this question, and probably Picking that up will differentiate an ok application from a good one

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I agree with Jaysen’s point - the “of the future” is an important differentiator in this question, and probably Picking that up will differentiate an ok application from a good one

Thanks Jessica. I’ve focussed a lot more on how my skills, particularly commercial awareness, are relevant to the role of a commercial solicitor of the future.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica. I’ve focussed a lot more on how my skills, particularly commercial awareness, are relevant to the role of a commercial solicitor of the future.

I don’t think this is the right way to go in all honesty. Commercial awareness is something that you always have to learn and continually develop so focusing on it heavily seems a bit risky to me.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.