Applications with 'redundant' cover letters

Richard

Jan 21, 2020
Hi,

Often when applying to vac schemes, I find that there will be a question about my reason for applying to that firm, and a question regarding positions of responsibility, and then it will additionally require a cover letter.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to write in my cover letter. According to the materials provided by my university, a cover letter is for saying what skills I have and why I want to work at the firm, so what is the cover letter for? I don't want to repeat myself.

I really appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Anjeri

Distinguished Member
Jun 18, 2019
Hi,

Often when applying to vac schemes, I find that there will be a question about my reason for applying to that firm, and a question regarding positions of responsibility, and then it will additionally require a cover letter.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to write in my cover letter. According to the materials provided by my university, a cover letter is for saying what skills I have and why I want to work at the firm, so what is the cover letter for? I don't want to repeat myself.

Hi! I feel like with apps like these the cover letter should take the whole why law, why the firm, why me bit. I understand you may have already touched upon the why the firm and why me bit but I’m assuming the cover letter would have a strict word limit. So just give a punchy paragraph on why the firm and why that interests you. Then in the why you bit, give a brief explanation of whatever skill you want to convey in the letter, and how you think this would benefit you as a trainee in the firm.

so far that’s the structure I’ve taken w apps that do this kind of thing and I’ve gotten a few AC invites of them so something must be working :).

Hope that helped slightly and good luck!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

Positions of responsibility are a lot different to “why you”. “why you” covers a broad range of things, and might not even cover on your ECs/PoRs.

If you have answered the “why this firm” else where, focus on why the opportunity instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: encrenoire

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.