Applying for a Direct Training Contract

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hey guys,

Hope you're well!

I just have a few questions about applying for a direct training contract in the summer. I'm in my third and final year of university at LSE studying Law, and I've been applying for vac schemes since my second year. It looks like I won't be getting one this summer, despite having a few interviews.

My first question is, what are the chances of me getting to a direct TC interview this summer, if I make an application, even though I haven't done any previous vac schemes? My following experience is this: (1) attended numerous (7 to be precise) open days at US and MC firms (2) Did one week of legal experience in Dubai (3) have undertaken lots of extra-curricular positions at my university, such as Peer Support and Widening Participation (4) and have been in a part-time research job for 2 years. I'll get a strong 2.1 from the LSE, in the region of 65-69 as an overall mark,

My second question is, after the summer deadlines close for direct TC, is this the last chance to apply for a 2021 TC? I'm quite concerned, because if I do apply after the summer cycle, does this mean I will have to wait until 2022 to commence my TC? This seems a long time away to wait to begin a job, despite the LPC.

Thirdly, if it happens to be 2022, what are the chances a firm will move your TC forward if you ask? (E.g. if someone drops out etc)

Thanks guys!
TCP :)

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hey guys,

Hope you're well!

I just have a few questions about applying for a direct training contract in the summer. I'm in my third and final year of university at LSE studying Law, and I've been applying for vac schemes since my second year. It looks like I won't be getting one this summer, despite having a few interviews.

My first question is, what are the chances of me getting to a direct TC interview this summer, if I make an application, even though I haven't done any previous vac schemes? My following experience is this: (1) attended numerous (7 to be precise) open days at US and MC firms (2) Did one week of legal experience in Dubai (3) have undertaken lots of extra-curricular positions at my university, such as Peer Support and Widening Participation (4) and have been in a part-time research job for 2 years. I'll get a strong 2.1 from the LSE, in the region of 65-69 as an overall mark,

My second question is, after the summer deadlines close for direct TC, is this the last chance to apply for a 2021 TC? I'm quite concerned, because if I do apply after the summer cycle, does this mean I will have to wait until 2022 to commence my TC? This seems a long time away to wait to begin a job, despite the LPC.

Thirdly, if it happens to be 2022, what are the chances a firm will move your TC forward if you ask? (E.g. if someone drops out etc)

Thanks guys!

It sounds like you have good experience and grades. Some firms see it as a mandatory requirement that you need to have done a vacation scheme. Others are more open to just wanting you to demonstrate the required skills, qualities and attributes from all your experience/activities. Worth researching which firm falls into which category. Many of the bigger firms, where TC places more than out number VS places maybe a good starting point. Others will clearly say doing a VS is not essential.
Regardless, and most importantly, I imagine your application will be contingent on how you write about your experiences and the examples you mentioned above. i.e are you really maximising your experience/extra circulars to draw out the key skills/competencies. Just as a fyi, I didn’t do a vacation scheme this cycle, and managed to get a TC.

Difficult to comment on whether the 2021 intake will fully close. I imagine it depends on whether the intakes get filled up. I recall in the past some firms in the next recruitment cycle have kept open different start dates. In any event, I can assure you, where possible firms will be willing to negotiate earlier start dates. I wouldn’t worry too much about year of intake. Focus on getting the TC or an AC and ask the question about an earlier start date. Probably after you get the TC offer, otherwise you may just inadvertently come off arrogant or presumptuous. Some firms may offer a TC for an earlier start date themselves based on they themselves noticing you can start earlier. To be honest, just take it one step at a time. The second and third questions only become relevant once you have TC offer, so best just to apply wherever you want and deal with this later.

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
It sounds like you have good experience and grades. Some firms see it as a mandatory requirement that you need to have done a vacation scheme. Others are more open to just wanting you to demonstrate the required skills, qualities and attributes from all your experience/activities. Worth researching which firm falls into which category. Many of the bigger firms, where TC places more than out number VS places maybe a good starting point. Others will clearly say doing a VS is not essential.
Regardless, and most importantly, I imagine your application will be contingent on how you write about your experiences and the examples you mentioned above. i.e are you really maximising your experience/extra circulars to draw out the key skills/competencies. Just as a fyi, I didn’t do a vacation scheme this cycle, and managed to get a TC.

Difficult to comment on whether the 2021 intake will fully close. I imagine it depends on whether the intakes get filled up. I recall in the past some firms in the next recruitment cycle have kept open different start dates. In any event, I can assure you, where possible firms will be willing to negotiate earlier start dates. I wouldn’t worry too much about year of intake. Focus on getting the TC or an AC and ask the question about an earlier start date. Probably after you get the TC offer, otherwise you may just inadvertently come off arrogant or presumptuous. Some firms may offer a TC for an earlier start date themselves based on they themselves noticing you can start earlier. To be honest, just take it one step at a time. The second and third questions only become relevant once you have TC offer, so best just to apply wherever you want and deal with this later.

Thanks for the detailed info. Just a question - how did you find the process of applying for a direct TC without having done a vac scheme? Any advice/tips for others who will be doing the same?

Insecable

Star Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 16
Jan 13, 2019
Thanks for the detailed info. Just a question - how did you find the process of applying for a direct TC without having done a vac scheme? Any advice/tips for others who will be doing the same?

What feedback did you get from your interviews? If you are making the same fundamental errors or having the same issues with interviews, you may find the same problems with your direct TC applications. Just a thought, although it is hard to tell without knowing the context or the feedback you received.

As mentioned already, you do seem like a competent candidate on paper and I am thinking that it might be a matter of improving interview/AC technique.

Reactions: AJ

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
What feedback did you get from your interviews? If you are making the same fundamental errors or having the same issues with interviews, you may find the same problems with your direct TC applications. Just a thought, although it is hard to tell without knowing the context or the feedback you received.

As mentioned already, you do seem like a competent candidate on paper and I am thinking that it might be a matter of improving interview/AC technique.

Often the feedback is not that useful post AC and the errors, if that's what we want to call them, are not the same. Sometimes it's just luck. Forming that all important relationship with your interviewer can be something so simple and small. I think many people have multiple ACs and do not get a VS - it happens to a lot of people (me included) but many of us perhaps don't talk about it that much. So I am not convinced that it is about making mistakes as such.
It is a brutal process and getting more Acs can only make you stronger in the long term.

Insecable

Star Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 16
Jan 13, 2019
Often the feedback is not that useful post AC and the errors, if that's what we want to call them, are not the same. Sometimes it's just luck. Forming that all important relationship with your interviewer can be something so simple and small. I think many people have multiple ACs and do not get a VS - it happens to a lot of people (me included) but many of us perhaps don't talk about it that much. So I am not convinced that it is about making mistakes as such.
It is a brutal process and getting more Acs can only make you stronger in the long term.

I agree with you, it's very true, and I know how brutal the process is, as someone going through it right now. It is possible that there could be some recurring themes, but equally, it could be a matter of bad luck as you mentioned.

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018

Hard!! But no different from applying for vac schemes. I picked my firms carefully so I knew they wouldn’t just recruit TCs from the VS pool.

Really nail your application answers. Keep drafting until it’s perfect. Make sure every sentence has a purpose. Hazel has done an amazing writing style article on here, which I wish I had when applying. Highly recommend reading that. Likewise application reviews from friends, family, contacts, Jaysen or public feedback.

Make the most of the activities, experiences and interests you have. Link them to the skills required by a trainee or what the firm looks out for. You say you’ve been in a part time research job for 2 years. Rather than just say this and stop here, I would suggest word count permitting to go a step further. Detail what skills and transferable experiences it has given you. Time management to juggle all your other commitments, concise drafting and writing? Peer support/widening participation. Being personable and being able to develop relationships? Do this for everything you do, no matter how small. Obviously you will have to back this all up at AC/interview. Hopefully, this way your experience will overshadow the lack of VS.

I’m no graduate recruiter, but surely 7 open days is worth just as much as a vacation scheme. Were they assessed/applied for open days or could anyone turn up? What did you learn? Did they help to develop interest in a particular area of law/type of firm?

Reactions: Abstruser and Helena

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018

Thank you so much!

Just one question - how do you find the firms which have a greater number of TC places than VS places?

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018

At the first interview with White & Case, they said I answered the majority of the competency ones well, and it came across that I really wanted to be a lawyer - but they said they couldn't accept me for the winter VS because of one question regarding teamwork. They said they weren't convinced the example I gave showed teamwork, and that since it's essential for lawyers to have this skill, they couldn't take me. I found it quite odd that they rejected me based on what seemed to be one question - but alas! That's how it is I suppose. It's something to learn from next time.

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hard!! But no different from applying for vac schemes. I picked my firms carefully so I knew they wouldn’t just recruit TCs from the VS pool.

Really nail your application answers. Keep drafting until it’s perfect. Make sure every sentence has a purpose. Hazel has done an amazing writing style article on here, which I wish I had when applying. Highly recommend reading that. Likewise application reviews from friends, family, contacts, Jaysen or public feedback.

Make the most of the activities, experiences and interests you have. Link them to the skills required by a trainee or what the firm looks out for. You say you’ve been in a part time research job for 2 years. Rather than just say this and stop here, I would suggest word count permitting to go a step further. Detail what skills and transferable experiences it has given you. Time management to juggle all your other commitments, concise drafting and writing? Peer support/widening participation. Being personable and being able to develop relationships? Do this for everything you do, no matter how small. Obviously you will have to back this all up at AC/interview. Hopefully, this way your experience will overshadow the lack of VS.

I’m no graduate recruiter, but surely 7 open days is worth just as much as a vacation scheme. Were they assessed/applied for open days or could anyone turn up? What did you learn? Did they help to develop interest in a particular area of law/type of firm?

Thanks so much for this! Regarding the open days, I had to apply for each one - it wasn't an open day where anyone could attend.

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks so much for this! Regarding the open days, I had to apply for each one - it wasn't an open day where anyone could attend.

Definitely briefly say this in your write up of the open day. E.g Attended an open day at xyz via an assessed application.

At the first interview with White & Case, they said I answered the majority of the competency ones well, and it came across that I really wanted to be a lawyer - but they said they couldn't accept me for the winter VS because of one question regarding teamwork. They said they weren't convinced the example I gave showed teamwork, and that since it's essential for lawyers to have this skill, they couldn't take me. I found it quite odd that they rejected me based on what seemed to be one question - but alas! That's how it is I suppose. It's something to learn from next time.

Don’t take it too personally. Same happened to me on the exact same question regarding teamwork. I gave the same answer for the second firm as I hadn’t received feedback yet. They had no issue with my answer and gave me the TC.

Reactions: TheCustardPants

Phoebe

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 25, 2018
Hi. I'm also applying for direct TCs this year but I was wondering does anyone know if like with Baker McKenzie when they have two periods to send in applications at different times in the year, if the second period would be the exact same application as the first i.e. the same questions?

Basically they have a deadline for the first lot of applications for the 31st of March but I have exams, dissertation etc that should take priority so I don't think I'd be able to write the application I'm capable of. Do you think I could prepare for the same questions until June then just send it in as soon as the applications open again?

I'll have my most important exams for the whole of June as well so I'm not sure I would be able to write an application during that month.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi. I'm also applying for direct TCs this year but I was wondering does anyone know if like with Baker McKenzie when they have two periods to send in applications at different times in the year, if the second period would be the exact same application as the first i.e. the same questions?

Basically they have a deadline for the first lot of applications for the 31st of March but I have exams, dissertation etc that should take priority so I don't think I'd be able to write the application I'm capable of. Do you think I could prepare for the same questions until June then just send it in as soon as the applications open again?

I'll have my most important exams for the whole of June as well so I'm not sure I would be able to write an application during that month.

Yep should be the same.

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018

They have two deadlines for different group of applicants.

The deadline in March is for graduates and final year students. The deadline in July is for students in their penultimate year.

Reactions: Phoebe and Helena

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Hey guys,

Hope you're well!

Thanks guys!
    Hey! WOW, first of all, I think that's fantastic that you've done 7 open days!! Have you applied to all of the firms you attended open days for? I feel like you'd be most successful in applying to those ones because firms usually want to meet you beforehand (especially with TC because it's a lot more commitment than a VS).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.