Applying for training contracts having already accepted an offer

Harper78

Aug 5, 2020
I was recently offered a training contract and unfortunately, since I was given a limited amount of time to respond, I accepted it without having the opportunity to apply to other firms. I would like to ask if it is advisable to go ahead and apply for training contracts at other firms anyway? What are the consequences if either firm (the firm I've accepted an offer with and the firm I am applying to) finds out about this? If anyone has been in a similar situation I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
There are some firms who like to put a clause in their contract saying the offer is void if you have already accepted a TC. Whether this is enforceable or would be enforced, is another matter.

@Jessica Booker would be the authority on whether you can renege or the consequences of it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any clause saying the offer would be voided if you had already accepted an offer is likely to be unenforceable (data protection makes it practically impossible to find out unless you tell them). I’d be surprised if any firm has it these days because it’s not in the interests of the firm you get a subsequent offer from.

Unfortunately for recruiters there is absolutely no consequences on reneging an offer. The exception will be if you have received any financial support from the firm (this could include paying for your LPC before you start the course). The worst thing that can happen is the firm remembers you and when you try to get a NQ role there, they remember you as the person who reneged. But given the time lapse and how people change roles in firms, I think even that is fairly unlikely and even if they did remember you, they wouldn’t pass you up if you were a good enough candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoo, D and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.