Applying for Vac Schemes at Magic Circle/Silver Circle with low 2.1

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hello,

I wanted to ask if you can still apply to these firms e.g. Slaughter and May, Clifford Chance, Travers Smith if you received a low 2.1 in all modules and go to a Russell Group uni? Does the low 2.1 mean you are less likely to be successful at the application stage?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello,

I wanted to ask if you can still apply to these firms e.g. Slaughter and May, Clifford Chance, Travers Smith if you received a low 2.1 in all modules and go to a Russell Group uni? Does the low 2.1 mean you are less likely to be successful at the application stage?
Not on its own, no. If you have strengths elsewhere your academics will be put into context. For instance if you work part time or have lots of extra curriculars a low 2.1 will be balanced out when compared to someone with a high 2.1 but little to no other commitments.

Reactions: AvniD and Crystal86

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hey, hopefully my experience will provide some reassurance. I will caveat this by saying that I did graduate 10 years ago and have had work experience in various fields. I also did well on the GDL. But I do have a very low 2.1 in my undergraduate degree (with a very mixed set of module results) from a RG uni. I managed to get 2 TC offers from silver circle firms. I didn't apply to any magic circle firms because that was not what I was looking for so I don't know how successful I would have been. There are firms out there who may not look at a low 2.1 applicant but equally there are others that will absolutely consider you, taking your academic profile in combination with your application as a whole.

Reactions: AvniD and Crystal86

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 10, 2021
    Hey, hopefully my experience will provide some reassurance. I will caveat this by saying that I did graduate 10 years ago and have had work experience in various fields. I also did well on the GDL. But I do have a very low 2.1 in my undergraduate degree (with a very mixed set of module results) from a RG uni. I managed to get 2 TC offers from silver circle firms. I didn't apply to any magic circle firms because that was not what I was looking for so I don't know how successful I would have been. There are firms out there who may not look at a low 2.1 applicant but equally there are others that will absolutely consider you, taking your academic profile in combination with your application as a whole.
    Thanks, this is very reassuring and congratulations on those offers! If you do not mind me asking, which Silver Circle Firms offered you the training contract?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.