Applying skills to trainee role

Emilia Hdsn.

• Aug 3, 2021
    Hi everyone,

This might seems obvious for some of you, but i struggle to understand what are suppose to answer when law firms ask the question "how would you apply your skills to a trainee role in order to be successful".

If for instance, i am talking about communication skills, am i suppose to say the role of a trainee in the firm and a specific example of when "communication skills" can be essential?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

This might seems obvious for some of you, but i struggle to understand what are suppose to answer when law firms ask the question "how would you apply your skills to a trainee role in order to be successful".

If for instance, i am talking about communication skills, am i suppose to say the role of a trainee in the firm and a specific example of when "communication skills" can be essential?

Thanks
    For the example you have mentioned above, I would try to be more specific than communication skills are this is a broad range of skills (verbal, written, influencing, directing, presentation skills, etc).

You are right in suggesting you will need to link the skills back to what a trainee does. This doesn’t necessarily need to be technical processes, it could just be the manner in which they work, who they have to work with etc.

Reactions: Emilia Hdsn.

shannontongg

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 10
  • Oct 3, 2021
    If you wanted to write about your communication skills, you could give brief example of a time where you have successfully demonstrated such skills, and then link that to how you could use the same skill as a trainee.

For instance, your ability to communicate well with team members would allow you to ensure that you have a good understanding of the task delegated to you by your supervisor, and to keep the rest of the team updated on your progress. This helps you succeed as a trainee because the team’s work gets progressed more efficiently due to your clear communication.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.