Applying to a firm for TC but didn't apply for the VS?

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
I'm concerned if I get asked why I didn't apply for their vacation scheme because I have completed a vacation scheme elsewhere which I talk about quite a bit in my application (I am a penultimate year law student). What would be an appropriate answer? I honestly didn't apply to many firms for vacation schemes in the first place and this firm I'm now applying to for the TC, I didn't know much about at that point. But not sure if it would be great to mention that...

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I have not been asked that question at any interview, and I have done a lot.

A reasonable answer could be that you were able to ascertain, from whatever you have done, that the firm was somewhere where you could see yourself. I turned down a VS at a firm and just asked for a straight TC interview. This is the line I took (because it was true).

I wouldn't overthink that element too much. Just focus on your motivation for applying for the TC.

Reactions: Jaysen and nisadee

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
I have not been asked that question at any interview, and I have done a lot.

A reasonable answer could be that you were able to ascertain, from whatever you have done, that the firm was somewhere where you could see yourself. I turned down a VS at a firm and just asked for a straight TC interview. This is the line I took (because it was true).

I wouldn't overthink that element too much. Just focus on your motivation for applying for the TC.

Thanks so much, that's reassuring to hear!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It is a reasonable question to ask - I have asked it enough times.

it depends on your logic/reasoning. As long as there is some, there isn’t an issue that you didn’t apply for a VS. You just have to make sure it doesn’t come across as this application is not way down your preference list.

Whether you have changed your mind on firms, learnt you are more interested in different types of law, learnt more about that specific firm, have met their employees and your perception of the firm changed - all these are reasonable answers as to why you have applied later than you could have done. There’s probably 101 other legitimate reasons.

Reactions: nisadee

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hi!

Just to add to the other responses, I don't think this will be an issue. I applied for a MC firm's TC this year, without doing their VS or even their first year scheme- I don't recall having attended an open day with the firm, yet was still invited. Just make sure to have a great answer for when they ask "Why the firm", They never asked me that. For other firms, I've completed their first year schemes, yet did not go beyond the VS AC, yet they still encouraged me to apply for the TC for the current cycle, even having never done a VS with that firm. If you convey your interest, I'm sure it'll be fine!

Reactions: nisadee

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.