Applying to other firms once accepting another

Livharris63

Jul 31, 2022
Hi all

I have recently been offered a TC in my second year and I am keen to accept it but I want to apply to some london ones next year now I have the experience of a vac scheme.

however I am unsure whether this is allowed. In my contract it says nothing about me rescinding the contact before the LPC starts- it is only when they begin to fund the LPC is that I am bound to finish the training contract.

any advice on this would be much appreciated!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It’s not really a good way about doing things. Reality is the ideal situation would be to ask your current firm to extend your offer period, but firms are unlikely to offer this and know why you are asking.

So in reality, you can do what you are suggesting and there are little/no consequences for doing so. There’s enough people who do it each recruitment cycle to know it’s feasible. As you have suggested, the point it typically tips into more difficulty is when you start the onboarding process on to the LPC/SQE course. Then you’ll have ties to that firm that you’ll need to consider the consequences of carefully if you were to break those ties.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.