Applying to the same firm twice

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hey guys,

I applied to a firm last year and was successful with the initial stages. Can I use similar application answers if I update and change my work experiences/motivations?

Cheers

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys,

I applied to a firm last year and was successful with the initial stages. Can I use similar application answers if I update and change my work experiences/motivations?

Cheers

You can but I think it’s always best to wonder whether you have a better example that you have acquired since your last application, especially if that application was a year ago

Reactions: Abstruser and v123

Ktan26

Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2018
Hi there,

I was wondering whether law firms actually check whether you have applied to them previously? I am asking because I saw that firms always ask whether you have applied to them beforehand and am wondering whether when this is indeed the case, saying yes would potentially reduce your chances?

Thank you!!

I’m not sure if it reduces your chances, but from my experience I’ve had luck with sending in updated applications to firms I’ve applied to previously. Off the top of my head these are Dentons, Mayer Brown and Kennedys.

I was a bit cheeky with Dentons and applied a third time this cycle with an updated app. Didn’t get through though!

Alexahills

Jan 9, 2019
I’m not sure if it reduces your chances, but from my experience I’ve had luck with sending in updated applications to firms I’ve applied to previously. Off the top of my head these are Dentons, Mayer Brown and Kennedys.

I was a bit cheeky with Dentons and applied a third time this cycle with an updated app. Didn’t get through though!

Thank you for your response! Just to clarify, when you reapplied this cycle did you tick the 'yes' box on whether you have applied to the law firm previously? or is it also possible to tick the 'no' box (despite having actually applied previously in the last cycle), assuming that the firm would not check?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there,

I was wondering whether law firms actually check whether you have applied to them previously? I am asking because I saw that firms always ask whether you have applied to them beforehand and am wondering whether when this is indeed the case, saying yes would potentially reduce your chances?

Thank you!!

Yes - they check.

Most applicant tracking systems flag up multiple applications, using key similar information (including name), so it’s usually pretty easy to check whether someone has or not.

The question is on there as some firms will have to remove your data after a period of time and also you can ask the firm to remove your data from their database (thanks GDPR), which means the flag system is not always perfect.

Don’t lie on an application form - that is the easiest way to reduce your chances.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your response! Just to clarify, when you reapplied this cycle did you tick the 'yes' box on whether you have applied to the law firm previously? or is it also possible to tick the 'no' box (despite having actually applied previously in the last cycle), assuming that the firm would not check?

Don’t lie - it isn’t worth it. There are reasons why you typically have to tick a box to say everything on the form is truthful and accurate, and why firms value integrity a lot.

Ktan26

Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2018

I would agree with everything Jessica has said as above! At least for the firms I’ve mentioned, I wouldn’t worry too much about stating you’ve applied before, so long as there have been substantial changes made to your application.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hi there,

Thank you!!

I don't think it should affect your chances - I applied to an MC firm last year for the second time (having been rejected at app stage in the previous year) and ended up being offered a TC there, so as long as your application has been improved and updated it really shouldn't be a problem!

Reactions: Eva and Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.