Are GDL Course Notes useful?

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020
Hey,

So basically the title. I have seen services such as https://lawanswered.com/gdl who are like condensed notes with "no waffle". Has anyone ever used them? Are they useful?

Thanks
I’ve got the core guide this year and it seems helpful and I imagine closer to exams it will be even more so. I’ve been told not to bother with the case book from former students but that the core guide is definitely worth it

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
I’ve got the core guide this year and it seems helpful and I imagine closer to exams it will be even more so. I’ve been told not to bother with the case book from former students but that the core guide is definitely worth it

I used these books while doing the GDL last year and found them very helpful, particularly the core guide. It was primarily useful for checking I had the key points and correct structure for each topic.

Are you doing/did the GDL at ULaw or BPP?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
the core book applies relatively well to the PGDL - company law is not covered and we do not do EU law but I have found it helpful already and would recommend it

Reactions: Blue cacti

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
Jan 8, 2021
It depends on where you are studying the GDL. If BPP I would recommend using GDL answered, however, if you are going to the University of Law YourGDL is the best option which is what I used.
Hi Jack! I am starting my GDL at the uni of law and wondered if you would recommend buying YourGDL or alternatively notes from a different website? Thank you :)

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
I am in the final semester of the online GDL at ULaw and I have found the GDL answered books really helpful. Very concise and the case book is great for highlighting additional cases to consider and how they link together.

I believe both YourGDL and GDL Answered provide excerpts to view so I would have a look and see what works best for your style of learning.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    GDL Answered has ULaw and BPP versions of each book, just FYI :) I've used it this year and like it. I got both the case book and core guide and I agree the case book isn't super helpful (though I imagine if you did read it you'd get a first in each module, LOL). Would definitely recommend the core guide! ULaw is SUPER structure focused - your exam structure needs to be EXACTLY the way they like it, and the core guide does a good job on helping you there.

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 8, 2021
    I am in the final semester of the online GDL at ULaw and I have found the GDL answered books really helpful. Very concise and the case book is great for highlighting additional cases to consider and how they link together.

I believe both YourGDL and GDL Answered provide excerpts to view so I would have a look and see what works best for your style of learning.
    GDL Answered has ULaw and BPP versions of each book, just FYI :) I've used it this year and like it. I got both the case book and core guide and I agree the case book isn't super helpful (though I imagine if you did read it you'd get a first in each module, LOL). Would definitely recommend the core guide! ULaw is SUPER structure focused - your exam structure needs to be EXACTLY the way they like it, and the core guide does a good job on helping you there.
    Thank you both! I am just waiting for the updated version of the GDL Answered book to come out and then I will purchase it :) Thank you for your insights!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.