Are my alevels going to hold me back?

Lawyer202

May 31, 2023
I’m a current second year student studying at RHUL for a management degree as I thought my a-levels will hold be back a lot for law.

For my alevels I got ACCD , with A being in a native language. (During 2021).

I have extensive work experience as a teacher assistant in a Saturday school and have been looking around law fairs.

What’s the potential route that I can take being a solicitor? Is it possible?

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Just be careful with some firms that stipulate an A-Level requirements, like AAA. They may use that as an instant filter for applications so you may not want to spend excessive time on those apps

laurabeaumont

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Agree with @teddy_lawyer and @FM302989 to avoid the firms that directly stipulate A-level requirements. Whilst any qualification bears weight on an application if you have performed excellently in your undergraduate degree at RHUL and have a very good application (i.e. developed the necessary skills etc), then those more recent events will likely bear even more weight for those firms without A-level requirements.

Alternatively, there is another way to qualify as a solicitor - via the solicitor apprenticeships route which takes 5-6 years and still involves taking the SQE. Here is a link to the SRA website which details the minutae of the route: https://www.sra.org.uk/become-solic...prentice your training,to 6 years to complete.

Hope this helps! Reply on this thread if you have any further questions :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Agree with @teddy_lawyer and @FM302989 to avoid the firms that directly stipulate A-level requirements. Whilst any qualification bears weight on an application if you have performed excellently in your undergraduate degree at RHUL and have a very good application (i.e. developed the necessary skills etc), then those more recent events will likely bear even more weight for those firms without A-level requirements.

Alternatively, there is another way to qualify as a solicitor - via the solicitor apprenticeships route which takes 5-6 years and still involves taking the SQE. Here is a link to the SRA website which details the minutae of the route: https://www.sra.org.uk/become-solicitor/sqe/solicitor-apprenticeships/#:~:text=As an apprentice your training,to 6 years to complete.

Hope this helps! Reply on this thread if you have any further questions :)
    I wouldn’t recommend a solicitor apprenticeship route if you already have a degree - it’s best suited for school leavers. The irony is that for the 5-6 year solicitor apprenticeship route they would also look more heavily at your A-levels rather than less, as these are the qualifications needed to enter the course.

You can do graduate solicitor apprenticeships though that are 24-30 months and effectively are a training contract with 20% learning dedicated to the SQE.

Reactions: FM302989

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.