Are my grades an issue?

lawstudent115

Sep 5, 2022
Hello,

I am an incoming year 3 law student (out of a 4 year degree) at a top Russell Group uni in London. I received my module grades a couple of weeks ago and my grades overall were fairly okay, as I averaged an 66.5 (compared with a 63.5 in first year). However, I came out with a 58.5 in tort which I did not expect at all, as I thought I did fairly decently in the exam. I tried to appeal the grade, but was ultimately left with feedback on how I should improve..

Would a 2:2 in a core module like tort be an issue for law firms when applying for vac schemes? I received firsts in two modules - EU and Equity&Trusts - but would this really outweigh the 2:2? For reference, I received all 2:1s in first year.

Thanks for any responses.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello,

I am an incoming year 3 law student (out of a 4 year degree) at a top Russell Group uni in London. I received my module grades a couple of weeks ago and my grades overall were fairly okay, as I averaged an 66.5 (compared with a 63.5 in first year). However, I came out with a 58.5 in tort which I did not expect at all, as I thought I did fairly decently in the exam. I tried to appeal the grade, but was ultimately left with feedback on how I should improve..

Would a 2:2 in a core module like tort be an issue for law firms when applying for vac schemes? I received firsts in two modules - EU and Equity&Trusts - but would this really outweigh the 2:2? For reference, I received all 2:1s in first year.

Thanks for any responses.
As it is just one module, this will not be an issue at all.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.