Are virtual vacation schemes worth it?

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
I just found out that the firm for which I have a vac scheme decided to change it to an online format and shorten it from 3 weeks to 1. Not only that but apparently what was supposed to be a proper work experience is now just going to be effectively an insight scheme (which I already did at that specific firm).

I'm immeasurably disappointed since this means I'll be left completely without legal work experience this summer. I'm considering withdrawing from this scheme and looking for local work experience opportunities since at least those will allow me to get some hands-on experience, even if it's not relevant in the long term.

Is it worth it to stick with the scheme or should I look for alternatives? I'm still interested in the firm I'd be doing the scheme with, but I really don't need another insight scheme when I already did one.

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I just found out that the firm for which I have a vac scheme decided to change it to an online format and shorten it from 3 weeks to 1. Not only that but apparently what was supposed to be a proper work experience is now just going to be effectively an insight scheme (which I already did at that specific firm).

I'm immeasurably disappointed since this means I'll be left completely without legal work experience this summer. I'm considering withdrawing from this scheme and looking for local work experience opportunities since at least those will allow me to get some hands-on experience, even if it's not relevant in the long term.

Is it worth it to stick with the scheme or should I look for alternatives? I'm still interested in the firm I'd be doing the scheme with, but I really don't need another insight scheme when I already did one.
    If you are still being considered for a training contract at the end of the scheme, I can't see what benefit there would be in withdrawing. The format may be dissapointing, but its a means to an end.
    I'd also add that this won't be literally the same as your last experience with the firm, you might well gain insight into other departments or aspects. The content and the people involved don't work on 'repeat'. You will undoubtedly end up with more of an idea if they are a good fit for you. Plus, you won this VS place against stiff competition which in itself deserves a spot on the CV. Even if you managed to secure other work, eg a paralegal role, you could probably negotiate a week off fairly easily and have the benefits of both worlds. The firm will also be disappointed that they aren't able to meet you in person but given that they've chosen this for your safety and theirs, it's worth sticking with.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.