Ashurst 2020/2021

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hi all,

Thought I'd create a thread for the Ashurst application/s.

This year the questions are:
  • Please address your cover letter to Nick Wong, Graduate Recruitment Partner. This is an opportunity to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor. (1000 words)
  • What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require? (250 words)
  • How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst? (250 words)
  • How is Ashurst different to other firms you have applied to? (250 words)

I'm quite stuck on: How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst? (250 words)

I think 'legal' is throwing me off. I was hoping to take about a geopolitical issue e.g. presidential elections but the reasonings I would give are more political than legal I think. Does anyone have any experience of this question or any ideas?

Thanks!

:)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

• Please address your cover letter to Nick Wong, Graduate Recruitment Partner. This is an opportunity to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor. (1000 words)
  • How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst? (250 words)

I'm quite stuck on: How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst? (250 words)

I think 'legal' is throwing me off. I was hoping to take about a geopolitical issue e.g. presidential elections but the reasonings I would give are more political than legal I think. Does anyone have any experience of this question or any ideas?

Thanks!

if you are going to talk about political/economical matters, you need to not focus on the detail of them, just focus on how they are impacting law firms/the legal sector/law firms’ clients (that would then impact the work law firms do for them)

Reactions: Jaysen

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi all,

Thanks!

The only thing that I can think of is Richard Susskind's Tomorrow's Lawyers. The entire book is on how the world of law is in a remarkable state of flux so I'd recommend that you read it before answering this.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The only thing that I can think of is Richard Susskind's Tomorrow's Lawyers. The entire book is on how the world of law is in a remarkable state of flux so I'd recommend that you read it before answering this.

As you said, I think the book is great to show how the legal world is changing. I’d just flag that people have been using the information from Tomorrow’s Lawyers to answer these questions for many years (all the way back since when I was applying).

I think it’s a good starting point but I’d also note that there are so many ways you can approach this question beyond the focus of Susskind’s book.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Thanks!

The ‘legal landscape’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘legal issue’, but as Jess said, the focus of your answer should be on the impact on the legal market/sector.

I’m not sure the presidential elections are a great topic to talk about, unless you feel it’s clearly going to answer the question.

As a general way of answering this question, I would try to take a step back and consider what is going on in the legal sector at the moment.

For example, here are some questions to consider:

Do people joining law firms have different motivations in our current generation? Are they likely to stay at their firm for the long term? Do law firms need to different things to attract the best talent? How do they need to adapt to the next generation of talent?

What is the competition like in the legal sector? Are there new entrants in the market? What are competitors doing to gain a competitive advantage?

How is the way we work changing? Have world events accelerated this change?

Are the way law firms are being structured changing? Is the partnership model still the best model?

Do big corporate clients have different concerns these days? Is diversity becoming more important for clients? What about ESG concerns? What about pricing?

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: cgs97

NA27

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 19, 2020
    I was wondering if it might be possible to talk about a combination of two events- the U.S China trade war + the instability in Hong Kong, and how these are collectively impacting the APAC strategies of many law firms in the region? Would it be narrow to focus on events happening in one region? My strategy is to argue that firms that have invested significantly in APAC (as opposed to North America, for example) might find this challenging.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I was wondering if it might be possible to talk about a combination of two events- the U.S China trade war + the instability in Hong Kong, and how these are collectively impacting the APAC strategies of many law firms in the region? Would it be narrow to focus on events happening in one region? My strategy is to argue that firms that have invested significantly in APAC (as opposed to North America, for example) might find this challenging.
    I think when they're asking about the changing legal landscape and the challenges facing Ashrust, in the same question, they wouldn't really be looking forward to reading about incidents which are going to be in existence for a short term and which are going to affect more or less every law firm.

What I infer from the question is that, let's say Ashrust has a lot of junior associates in their firm, so if some disruptive technology comes within a decade which can automate more or less everything that the junior person does at Ashrust (for example DD, , this could mean that Ashrust would no longer need these people.

This wouldn't apply to a firm which recruits very few people in a year.

I don't know if I'm correct or not but maybe this will prompt you to think on the correct lines?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just to weigh in on this a bit too- I think speaking about geopolitical and economic events might be a bit too much of a stretch for this question. It does explicitly say legal landscape and I think the focus should be on the legal sector. The points given by @Jaysen above are great starting ones. If the wording was more broad then I’d say this would be fine but it’s important to take stock of the wording used to understand what it is Ashurst are wanting to see.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

This one sounds fine to me.

j2134

Star Member
    May 6, 2020
    Since the final question of this application is about your reasons for applying to Ashurst specifically, would it be best to not cover this much in the 1000 word cover letter? :) Ie. only cover 'yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor' in the letter?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Since the final question of this application is about your reasons for applying to Ashurst specifically, would it be best to not cover this much in the 1000 word cover letter? :) Ie. only cover 'yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor' in the letter?

Yes - is generally avoid any repetition in a cover letter, so if other application questions cover certain topics they don’t need to be covered again.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Yep, I'd focus on those areas. Sometimes I see candidates also briefly cover why they are applying to Ashurst (which is not always the same thing as what makes Ashurst different to other firms), but I would keep this fairly concise if you do.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I would try to weave why Ashurst into the cover letter by tailoring your points to them and vice versa. I also think the last question on the app is a why Ashurst question but more in the context of how it’s distinct from its competitors, but I’d still advise trying to link this back to your motivations and what matters to you.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Thanks everyone for your input! Definitely have some clarity now. Essentially, I think I was trying to answer a commercial/business answer as opposed to a question on the legal market/industry.

I agree that there might be cross overs with commercial/legal but will definitely have a think about some of the points you guys have stated.

Thanks all! :D

• 🤝

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Yep, I'd focus on those areas. Sometimes I see candidates also briefly cover why they are applying to Ashurst (which is not always the same thing as what makes Ashurst different to other firms), but I would keep this fairly concise if you do.

I would try to weave why Ashurst into the cover letter by tailoring your points to them and vice versa. I also think the last question on the app is a why Ashurst question but more in the context of how it’s distinct from its competitors, but I’d still advise trying to link this back to your motivations and what matters to you.

Just adding to both of these answers - a few successful apps that I've seen to Ashurst don't cover "Why Ashurst" in the cover letter. That being said, everyone answers differently but one thing I've learnt in my app cycle seasons is that you should answer the question as it is. As the question doesn't ask for a "why Ashurst" component then perhaps that's not what they're looking for.

Hope that helps and good luck everyone!

Reactions: Jessica Booker and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just adding to both of these answers - a few successful apps that I've seen to Ashurst don't cover "Why Ashurst" in the cover letter. That being said, everyone answers differently but one thing I've learnt in my app cycle seasons is that you should answer the question as it is. As the question doesn't ask for a "why Ashurst" component then perhaps that's not what they're looking for.

Hope that helps and good luck everyone!

It sounds obvious but this is a really great point. So many candidates answer the question they think is being asked, rather than answering the question as stated.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    It sounds obvious but this is a really great point. So many candidates answer the question they think is being asked, rather than answering the question as stated.

Definitely! I know that when I first started writing apps, I'd try and tie the firm into a competency question. The firm really just wants to hear how I performed as a team member, not for me to find some link to the firm haha.

Thanks all!

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hello everyone, adding onto people's discussions about making links - when talking about how Ashurst is different from other law firms, would it be necessary to link it back to ourselves or should we solely discuss Ashurst's differentiation strategies? :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hello everyone, adding onto people's discussions about making links - when talking about how Ashurst is different from other law firms, would it be necessary to link it back to ourselves or should we solely discuss Ashurst's differentiation strategies? :)
    I think the main thing here is authenticity. If you make a point about Ashurst which makes it different to other firms and this is a big thing for you which underpins your motivation, then you can try and make a link here if it is natural. Don’t try to force these things but if it feels like a natural thing to be able to tie into the answer then my rule of thumb is that it never hurts to do so :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.