Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
'How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst? (250 words max)*- does anyone have any advice on how to answer this please?
First focus on how the legal landscape is changing. That’s your starting point.

Then make sure that change is causing a challenge(s) for Ashurst.

Where people typically go wrong is focusing too heavily on what has already happened and what Ashurst has already done to anticipate/deal with certain aspects (and therefore not necessarily have challenges).

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    While I mostly agree with the above, I would suggest working backwards here.

In your planning phase, find the thing that's causing Ashurst a problem based on something about the firm. Try and think a bit outside the box here: everyone and their dog will talk about Brexit, or post-covid WFH or whatever. Try and be a bit unique to stand out from the crowd.

After that, have a wider think about how that issue is changing the legal landscape more generally and then compile your answer from there.

This is the way I always approached these questions - the reason I suggest doing it like this is because you could spend hours and hours down a major rabbit hole finding a unique way the legal landscape is changing and then find that it doesn't affect Ashurst. Either your time is wasted or you'll try to shoehorn a response that doesn't fit; neither are desirable.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.