Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Ashurst Interview 2018

When was your Ashurst interview?

October 2018

What was it for?

Winter Vacation Scheme

Please describe the interview process at Ashurst.

The morning was split into two, firstly I had 60 mins to write a business report. A lady had started a healthy food, dips business, which in its first year did quite well. She now wants to [redacted] further in years 2, and 3. You need to advise on this, and then in year 4 you need to choose between three options and advise on a strategy. You have to address some of the following questions.

• What is the business USP
    • Who are the competitors
    • What are the threats
    • What are the opportunities
    • Describe the way UK consumer tastes are changing
    • What is the current UK business industry trends
    • What is the food industry trends in the UK

Following this there was an interview with a member of graduate recruitment, some of the questions that I can remember included

Why law?
    What makes Ashurst different?
    What is the best team you worked in, what made it such a good team? Why is that important?
    Describe a team that you were in, that was not performing well together, how did you fix it?
    When have you had a setback? How did you overcome this setback?
    When did you take constructive criticism?
    How do you think things will change in that time, what are the challenges currently facing the legal industry, and the wider business world in general?

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Ashurst interview?

I think for the written task just think of the audience, try and do an executive summary at the start. Have headings, and underline these. Watch grammar and punctuation.
    The interview is competency based so make sure you've got loads of examples prepared for the questions.

Reactions: S30

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Ashurst Training Contract Telephone Interview (20m):

· Walking through my app – my education history

· Why law at university?

· Why commercial law?

· I see you have had vacation schemes at Cleary Gottlieb and Linklaters, were they your choice of employers would you have taken a TC from them?

· Why Ashurst then?

· What challenges would you face as a trainee at Ashurst?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.