Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I received a VI invitation on Wednesday and it states that I have 5 days from receipt of the email to complete it - would today or tomorrow be the deadline? And is it okay to look at notes during a recorded video interview?
I can’t be 100% sure unfortunately. I’d expect it to be tomorrow, but they could count the Wednesday as one day unfortunately.

You can look at notes, but I would do this sparingly. You need to look like this is a natural conversation and that you can talk about the questions with confidence and in an assertive/persuasive way. Not relying on notes all the time will help to demonstrate that this is something that you can naturally talk about with confidence - using notes too heavily can make it seem like you are talking from a set/predetermined script rather than answering the question and being able to think on your feet to answer the question.

• ✅
Reactions: AvniD and MissJ

MissJ

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2019
I can’t be 100% sure unfortunately. I’d expect it to be tomorrow, but they could count the Wednesday as one day unfortunately.

You can look at notes, but I would do this sparingly. You need to look like this is a natural conversation and that you can talk about the questions with confidence and in an assertive/persuasive way. Not relying on notes all the time will help to demonstrate that this is something that you can naturally talk about with confidence - using notes too heavily can make it seem like you are talking from a set/predetermined script rather than answering the question and being able to think on your feet to answer the question.
thanks Jessica :)

Ameliaa

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
Hi @Jessica Booker I was wondering if firms check all the work experience inputted on the application form during pre-employment screenings or if they only go back a set number of years?

I have a lot of long-term informal volunteer work from when I was in school from 2010-2014. Most of it was part of my DofE awards. But I wouldn't know how to get into contact with any one who would be able to provide me a reference for it as we didn't have a formal system where it was logged. They organisers would simply sign our DofE books weekly as evidence we completed our volunteering which we would show to the DofE organisers who signed it off, but they didn't keep a formal register of our attendance or anything. I don't know if it would be better to just leave this experience out of my future applications.

I was also wondering when the pre-employment screenings take place? Is it done after the TC offer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I was wondering if firms check all the work experience inputted on the application form during pre-employment screenings or if they only go back a set number of years?

I have a lot of long-term informal volunteer work from when I was in school from 2010-2014. Most of it was part of my DofE awards. But I wouldn't know how to get into contact with any one who would be able to provide me a reference for it as we didn't have a formal system where it was logged. They organisers would simply sign our DofE books weekly as evidence we completed our volunteering which we would show to the DofE organisers who signed it off, but they didn't keep a formal register of our attendance or anything. I don't know if it would be better to just leave this experience out of my future applications.

I was also wondering when the pre-employment screenings take place? Is it done after the TC offer?
Screening will take place after an offer is accepted. It can sometimes take place 3-6 months before you start the TC, although some firms do the checks before you start any LPC/SQE prep courses though.

It’s typically any employment/education in the last 5-10 years, depending on the firms’s policy.

Even if the firm did want to seek an employment reference from 2010, given its a voluntary role they know they might not be able to get a reference. If it was part of your DoE, then you could probably provide your DoE documentation as proof you did the voluntary work, even if it doesn’t verify the actual experience.

So don’t worry about it in all honesty. They might not even ask for a reference given it’s voluntary.

Reactions: Ameliaa

Ameliaa

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
Screening will take place after an offer is accepted. It can sometimes take place 3-6 months before you start the TC, although some firms do the checks before you start any LPC/SQE prep courses though.

It’s typically any employment/education in the last 5-10 years, depending on the firms’s policy.

Even if the firm did want to seek an employment reference from 2010, given its a voluntary role they know they might not be able to get a reference. If it was part of your DoE, then you could probably provide your DoE documentation as proof you did the voluntary work, even if it doesn’t verify the actual experience.

So don’t worry about it in all honesty. They might not even ask for a reference given it’s voluntary.
Thank you so much for the help! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.