Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to announce that Gemma Baker, the Graduate Recruitment Manager at Willkie Farr & Gallagher (UK) LLP, will be running this Ask me Anything thread.

Gemma has substantial experience with the training contract process and is very happy to answer questions on anything related to application forms and interviews. Any questions on assessment centres would be best directed here.

No doubt this will be a useful opportunity for you to better understand the perspective of graduate recruitment. Gemma has worked in legal graduate recruitment for over 20 years and has read over 65,000 vacation scheme and training contracts applications. After nine years working for law firms, she headed up the employability teams at both Kaplan Law School and Aspiring Solicitors. Gemma returned to the legal profession in 2018 and now works for Willkie in London.

Willkie is a US firm with 13 offices and 2020 marked its first year of trainee recruitment in London. The firm is currently accepting vacation scheme applications here.

I hope you'll join me in welcoming @WillkieGemma to the forum and please do ask any questions that you have.

Best,

Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Great to have Gemma and Wilkie on board!

I have been fortunate to work with Gemma - she is a great ambassador for the legal recruitment profession so I’d really encourage anyone to ask her questions.

Reactions: Alison C

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma,

Welcome to TCLA! This is a fantastic opportunity for our members. I really look forward to working with you Gemma :). I am sure that our community will hugely benefit from your presence on the forum!

As someone who went through the application process with Willkie, I can vouch for Gemma's passion and support. From my experience, Gemma helped to make the recruitment process at Willkie a kind and understanding one, which I hugely appreciated as an applicant.

I really look forward to seeing posts from our members soon.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Hello Gemma,
    Thank you for taking time today.

Wilkie Farr and Gallagher asks for consistently strong academics. If I graduate with a 2.1 but don’t have good academics generally, would you recommend applying, despite not meeting the fair and reasonable benchmark set by the firm.

Would you also be at a disadvantage for not having leadership positions at university? I have rigorously committed to many extra curriculars, but have rarely acted in the capacity of a leader/captain.

Last edited:

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Hi Gemma - thanks for the time you're investing into this thread. I'm currently in the application process with Willkie myself, so your insight is hugely appreciated.

Given that Willkie's Training Contract offering is relatively new, and you're at the forefront of it, what lessons have you learned so far? What's your vision for Willkie's Training Contract offering over the next 5-10 years? And how do you think it will contribute to Willkie's overall growth strategy as a business in London?

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hello Gemma,
    Thank you for taking time today.

Wilkie Farr and Gallagher asks for consistently strong academics. If I graduate with a 2.1 but don’t have good academics generally, would you recommend applying, despite not meeting the fair and reasonable benchmark set by the firm.

Would you also be at a disadvantage for not having leadership positions at university? I have rigorously committed to many extra curriculars, but have rarely acted in the capacity of a leader/captain.
    Hi Rijul,

We don't specific A Level (or equivalent) grades so you should feel comfortable applying. No, leadership skills or experience isn't something we focus on at this stage. You should focus on providing a clear, concise and commercial answer to the why law and why Willkie questions.

Many thanks
    Gemma

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma - thanks for the time you're investing into this thread. I'm currently in the application process with Willkie myself, so your insight is hugely appreciated.

Given that Willkie's Training Contract offering is relatively new, and you're at the forefront of it, what lessons have you learned so far? What's your vision for Willkie's Training Contract offering over the next 5-10 years? And how do you think it will contribute to Willkie's overall growth strategy as a business in London?
    Hi @M777

Trainees are an integral part of Willkie's growth over the next few years as we want to grow organically where possible. In terms of vision, I would imagine it will look broadly similar but perhaps we might have, in the future, a client or international secondment. In terms of lessons learned, it's been incredibly smooth and feedback has been overwhelmingly positive!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma - thank you for taking the time to answer questions.
    Do you recruit on a rolling basis?
    I review on a rolling basis, yes. But the third stage of the application process (the written exercise) takes place in the same two week period for everyone, which will be in Jan/Feb. We won't fill up places before the deadline.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Hi Rijul,

We don't specific A Level (or equivalent) grades so you should feel comfortable applying. No, leadership skills or experience isn't something we focus on at this stage. You should focus on providing a clear, concise and commercial answer to the why law and why Willkie questions.

Many thanks
    Gemma
    Thank you Gemma. I am looking forward to sending a strong application in September.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma,
    Thank you for sending the link to your application workshop. I have just registered, and I am looking forward to attend. Yes, I meant September 2022. I would feel more comfortable applying to Wilkie with my 3rd year results. That would give me a bit more confidence.

Regards,
    Rijul
    Completely understand - it's always best to apply when you feel ready, rather than when other people tell you you should!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alison C and Jessica Booker

kerilouiseex

Jan 30, 2021
    Hi Gemma,

Thank you for the time you are giving for this thread, it is greatly appreciated.

I have been keeping up to date with Willkie’s participation within many law fairs and their open day in January 2021 although I still had some questions:

1) What are the skills you look for in a trainee application?
    2) What makes an application stand out?
    3) What do you think makes the firm unique?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these questions.

Reactions: ubklu and Alison C

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @kerilouiseex no problems at all.
    1. I'm looking for excellent written communication skills, in the form of a concise and well written application, a real interest in Willkie and the business of law and a sense of commerciality.
    2. There is not "one thing" that will make an application stand out. It really is how the application comes across as a whole - in terms of being well written, clear expression, having an authentic voice. As I said I'm interested in those who have a genuine interest in Willkie and this comes across in the 'Why Willkie?' question - if you submit a generic application, it will immediately not stand out. I would strongly recommend attending my application workshop: https://willkie.app.candidats.io/event/2b6e8c76-295a-41c5-8da7-221b62edb5da
    3. So many things! I think our growth story is the most stand out feature. When our managing partner, Peter Burrell, joined Willkie London in 2012 there four people in total, today there are over 130, which is an incredible growth. We've done this whilst creating and maintaining a really collaborative culture.

Thanks
    Gemma

Shasank

Nov 8, 2021
    Hi Gemma! Thank you for doing this!
    I am a final year law student from India. I was wondering whether Willkie invites VC and TC applications from international students and graduates who would require the firm to sponsor our visas eventually?

Best,
    Shasank

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @Shasank Yes, around 25% of our current/future trainees are from outside the UK and Ireland. We assess all candidates on merit and nationality plays no part in our decision making process. If a candidate is successful at all stages, then we would offer reasonable support and assistance in gaining a work permit/visa.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma,

Welcome to TCLA :) It is great to have some direct law firm insight on the forum and I know that I would have found your perspectives incredibly useful whilst I was applying!

Having gone through Willkie's recruitment process like @George Maxwell, I can attest to it being one of the most organised processes out there. Gemma also made a unique effort to solicit feedback from applicants and it is clear that her new work with TCLA is part of her and Willkie's effort to make the firm's recruitment as transparent as possible.

As is already apparent from some of the above posts, this thread will be very useful not only to Willkie applicants but to all TCLA members!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.