Asking for a TC in a different office to VS...

jsoobs

Nov 2, 2018
Hi all,

I've got a VS lined up this summer at a firm's Bristol office. When applying, I thought I wanted to be in Bristol but I have since changed my mind and would like to be in London. What do you think is the best way (in the event of me receiving a TC offer) of saying "I'd really like a TC with you, but in your London office"? Is this something I should bring up before I (hypothetically) get a TC offer? any advice/anecdotes would be much appreciated!!

Biena

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2019
Out of curiosity - is it OC? I think traditionally it's much easier to request London-->Regions as opposed to the other way round, but worth a shot if you have a compelling reason.

SJamal

Star Member
Nov 18, 2018
I wouldn’t raise it at all, especially at the VS stage. However, if you land a TC find out if you can apply for an NQ role in London? This will depend on the firm your at, some firm allow this, some will not.

Also, If you know the area of law you wish to qualify into, say Commercial Litigation, Real Estate, then most regional offices with a London office would offer this seat in the regions. If not, then ask if you can do that particular seat in the London office during your TC.

Alternatively, try to develop a rapport with the London office and make it known to them so at qualification they know your interested in London. That’s the way I would go, but it’s all horses for causes.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.