Aspiring Solicitors - Commercial Awareness Competition 2019/2020.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumree, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Lumree

Lumree Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi everyone,

Is anyone here taking part in the competition this year?

Thought we could share commercial awareness tips and tricks before it starts if people wanted to!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Ami

Ami Standard Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi, I am taking part in the competition for the first time this year. I’m looking forward to using it as a means to really improve my commercial awareness! I love the idea behind this thread!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lumree

TCLA Credits:
    Great!

What I’m currently doing is reading FT articles daily to keep on top of news.

Over the next few weeks I plan to try get my head around economic and political terms/theories which I think can also be tested.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. VicieuxRose

VicieuxRose New Member

TCLA Credits:
    I'm joining the competition as well. There is a lot to go through indeed!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ami

Ami Standard Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Ok, I’ve been doing the same to try to keep on top of the news.

Oh I see, I’ll have to do that also! What does the AS CAC tend to consist of?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lumree

TCLA Credits:
    This is my first year as well, but from reading the FAQ I can see it mentions political and economic as suggestions for areas to research!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ami

Ami Standard Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Ok, I will definitely look into that. Thank you :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. KLaw125

KLaw125 Active Member
    Vacation Schemer

TCLA Credits:

Hi everyone, I am not entering the Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition this year, but I was top 25 finalist last year. Great Idea for reading FT articles daily, definitely got into the habit of this for months helped make understanding business and political issues more clearly.

For general advice on learning terms, I would highly recommend The Finimize glossary for extensive list of financial terms. Additionally, The Christopher Stoakes Commercial Awareness book is a great read to gain a detailed overview of key financial markets and terms.

My best advice for the competition overall is get a group of friends participating together, to work on building commercial awareness - I worked with 3 other students to write notes, news summaries and discussed topics together. This made going into presentations during the Semi/Grand Final more easier process because we encouraged each other to learn from one another.

Feel free to ask any further questions, happy to help! Good luck everyone! :D

• Winner Winner x 4
  10. Lumree

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you for this! I’ve just bought Christopher Stoakes book on the city. Have you read this and if so is it equally useful for financial terms? I haven’t had chance to look over it.

11. KLaw125

KLaw125 Active Member
    Vacation Schemer

TCLA Credits:
    My pleasure happy to help!

Yes, I have read it Christopher Stoakes book, incredibly insightful read that provides a quality overview of financial terms and how the overall city works. It is worth reading as from personal experience from all the rounds competition, the questions involved are more than definitions at times. During multiple choice rounds and even the presentations in Semi Finals, understanding “how” things work and applying this to commercial issues became the focus of assessment.

So read it gradually, make a summary of the info for yourself (because not everything is essential) and use it as guide for reading further articles in the news :)

• Like Like x 4
  12. George

George Star Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi everyone.

I'm also participating again this year! The FT is definitely essential as in some of the later rounds they select some articles from the paper in order for participants to analyse them. I'd also suggest podcasts like Wake Up To Money and the Economist's The Intelligence. City AM and Watson's Daily (which are free!) are also a great sources to keep updated on current news stories.

I'd second the above suggestion that talking through these issues with friends is a great way to get your head around whats going on. Jaysen's commercial classes were also a big help last year. I'd be happy to help anyone else who is doing the competition! Good luck!

• Like Like x 3