Bad grade in module

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
I am worried about a module I performed poorly in during my third year of law school. I got a third in IP which really shocked me because I achieved 2.1s and 1sts in all my other modules (with the exception of one 2.2 during first year). Luckily, I still graduated with a 2.1.

I am in process of applying for paralegal roles. I am worried I will be turned down for a paralegal role when they found out that I have achieved a third in a module during my last year in law school.

Last year, I worked as a paralegal in-house. I was lucky that my day to day tasks did not involve any IP work. I am avoiding applying to IP paralegal roles or any in house paralegal roles that require good knowledge of IP law. I know I will be turned down for those roles because of my grade in IP law.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don’t think you will be turned down because of one module, especially for a paralegal role.

It may be different if you apply for IP paralegal roles (but these are pretty rare anyway) and you are saying you are avoiding them, so I don’t think this is an issue.

Some paralegal roles won’t even require a module breakdown, and so may not even find this out.

Reactions: mkap

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
I was thinking do I need mention this grade at any point of the recruitment process if the firm doesn’t ask a module breakdown and the role doesn’t involve IP work (like private client work)?

Also do you think it will affect my prospects of getting a training contract in the future?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was thinking do I need mention this grade at any point of the recruitment process if the firm doesn’t ask a module breakdown and the role doesn’t involve IP work (like private client work)?

Also do you think it will affect my prospects of getting a training contract in the future?
If you are going to reference all other modules, then I would include it.

Sometimes applications will just for your overall grade though.

You’d have to declare it if asked though.

It’s only one module - I don’t think this will prevent you from becoming a solicitor.

Reactions: mkap

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
I have mentioned the grades of one or two modules on my cv but not all of the them because I was told it’s not necessary.

I will definitely include the grade if I am asked about what marks I achieved in my modules. I have always included all my grades if I have been asked about it in an application ( even if they are not the best).

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.