Baker Mckenzie; Diversity and Inclusion question

J Malone

Valued Member
Jun 1, 2018
Hi :)

I am currently writing for an application of Baker Mckenzie

I face difficulties to understand what the firm wants to get from the first question;

Diversity and Inclusion are inseparable from a career at Baker McKenzie. Please outline how you would apply D & I in your role, drawing on any initiatives you may have been involved in.

I feel confused of "in your role".

Does the role mean your role as a trainee solicitor?

How can I approach to this question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi :)

I am currently writing for an application of Baker Mckenzie

I face difficulties to understand what the firm wants to get from the first question;

Diversity and Inclusion are inseparable from a career at Baker McKenzie. Please outline how you would apply D & I in your role, drawing on any initiatives you may have been involved in.

I feel confused of "in your role".

Does the role mean your role as a trainee solicitor?

How can I approach to this question?

To whatever role you are applying to.

it’s a two part question. First think about how D&I might impact your role at Bakers. Secondly think about what you have done in your past that has an element of D&I to it To show you are someone who is D&I minded.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi @JMalone! I'm not so sure if this would be useful, but I had a successful TC application to Baker's and in my answer to this question, I talked about my background and my experiences in working with a diversity of people.

I then talked about how my experiences would be of value to Baker's, and in my role as a prospective trainee/lawyer.

Last edited:

Army

Standard Member
Nov 7, 2019
Hi @JMalone! I'm not so sure if this would be useful, but I had a successful TC application to Baker's and in my answer to this question, I talked about my background and my experiences in working with a diversity of people.

I then talked about how my experiences would be of value to Baker's, and in my role as a prospective trainee/lawyer.

Thank you for your response, Your reply was very useful. That being said, can you just guide us through the types of examples you used? Like you mentioned you spoke about your background and experiences working with different people, are you able to clarify the types of things you mentioned?

Thank you so much

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your response, Your reply was very useful. That being said, can you just guide us through the types of examples you used? Like you mentioned you spoke about your background and experiences working with different people, are you able to clarify the types of things you mentioned?

Thank you so much

It doesn’t matter what their example is - you need to focus on yours.

Think about the following:

when have you been in a group of diverse people - why did you like it/how did you benefit from it? That could be work/study/extra curricular

when have you taken an inclusive approach to something? Have you tried to make sure something was more accessible to a wider group of people/did you look to get more people involved in whatever it was?

When have you tried to expand your cultural knowledge/understanding beyond your on culture? Have you travelled and integrated into the local culture? Have you learnt a new language, cultural sport, art etc?

have you been involved in any charity initiatives? Why were you keen to give back to that charity? Does it have an aspect of D&I to its aims?

Reactions: IntrepidL

Army

Standard Member
Nov 7, 2019
It doesn’t matter what their example is - you need to focus on yours.

Think about the following:

when have you been in a group of diverse people - why did you like it/how did you benefit from it? That could be work/study/extra curricular

when have you taken an inclusive approach to something? Have you tried to make sure something was more accessible to a wider group of people/did you look to get more people involved in whatever it was?

When have you tried to expand your cultural knowledge/understanding beyond your on culture? Have you travelled and integrated into the local culture? Have you learnt a new language, cultural sport, art etc?

have you been involved in any charity initiatives? Why were you keen to give back to that charity? Does it have an aspect of D&I to its aims?

Thank you very much, I know what to write now!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.