Bakers AC - who is our competitors?

Mia97

Jul 16, 2019
I wouldn’t just say international firms. That’s quite broad. Look into the firms practice strengths and THEN the industries/clients they operate within those practice areas.

For instance Skadden and Bakers both have band 4 ranked debt finance . However Skadden works on much higher value deals, larger banks and they have a much deeper reputation in the industry than Bakers London who are recently gaining rep after a key lateral hire. To say they are equal competitors I think is a slight push

I don’t believe it’s as simple to name to firms who are both international with shared strengths. Use your LinkedIn contacts to ask people at the firm, go on Legal 500, look at the firm own description of areas to help clarify which firms would really consider each other competitors. I think gaining deeper knowledge will also help u shine at interview. Good luck! :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I wouldn’t just say international firms. That’s quite broad. Look into the firms practice strengths and THEN the industries/clients they operate within those practice areas.

For instance Skadden and Bakers both have band 4 ranked debt finance . However Skadden works on much higher value deals, larger banks and they have a much deeper reputation in the industry than Bakers London who are recently gaining rep after a key lateral hire. To say they are equal competitors I think is a slight push

I don’t believe it’s as simple to name to firms who are both international with shared strengths. Use your LinkedIn contacts to ask people at the firm, go on Legal 500, look at the firm own description of areas to help clarify which firms would really consider each other competitors. I think gaining deeper knowledge will also help u shine at interview. Good luck! :)
Totally agree with this. I would also say, though it's behind a paywall, you might want to look at The Lawyer as I get emails where I can see which firms are working with each other and which firms are in contest on a matter. Also, set up Google Alerts for all firms you are interested in as this too can give you an insight into this and who they work with/on the opposite side to.

To really stand out here you want to be really diving deep into this kind of question and being as specific as you can in your evidence as this can show a broader understanding of the legal market.

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Totally agree with this. I would also say, though it's behind a paywall, you might want to look at The Lawyer as I get emails where I can see which firms are working with each other and which firms are in contest on a matter. Also, set up Google Alerts for all firms you are interested in as this too can give you an insight into this and who they work with/on the opposite side to.

To really stand out here you want to be really diving deep into this kind of question and being as specific as you can in your evidence as this can show a broader understanding of the legal market.

Completely agree with this! I've found The Lawyer to be so comprehensive, insightful and very helpful!

Reactions: Alice G

Will Jones

Jun 5, 2020
DLA Piper, Slaughter & May, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, Jones Day and Baker Botts are their top competitors because they’re big on similar work to Bakers

I would pretty much disagree with all of these for various reasons. Maybe DLA Piper but Bakers would probably claim otherwise. I would think of international law firms that use a Swiss verein structure - Norton Rose, Dentons and other firms with a large global footprint.

Reactions: Changes

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.