Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Bates Wells Vacation Scheme Interview 2021

Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

February 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer Vacation Scheme 2021

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

30min competency interview

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Just one final stage competency interview, with two associates/senior associates. It was competency based, with a few questions about my application/CV afterwards that were specific to what I wrote.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

- Make sure you know your CV well as well as preparing competencies
    - Make sure you can really justify why you want to work in the firm and your motivations are very clear
    - Maybe get involved in some initiatives early on if you're really interested in the firm

Were you successful?

No

Elizabeth K

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 6, 2021
    Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

March 4th 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer vacation scheme

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

It was a virtual interview at a fixed time with one partner and one senior associate

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

45 minutes interview

Please list any interview questions you were asked.

1)Tell us about yourself/brief summary of your profile and application?
    2) Why law?
    3) Why Bates Wells?
    4) Examples of work you have done to promote diversity & inclusion?
    5) Tell us about a commercial news story you have been following?
    6) Question about competitors (may be helpful to link to why Bates Wells stands out compared to them if you get asked this)
    7) Expectations of vacation scheme
    8) Tell us about your greatest achievement?
    9) Questions about specific things on my application e.g. why I chose to do an LLM + Mini pupillage so know your application well
    10) General competency based qs

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Bates Wells is very unique in that they are the only law firm who are a BCorp. This is something they are very proud of so understandably they are looking for people who align with their values.
    I would say research the firm well using resources such as the client webinars they host (I had attended quite a few and my interviewers were impressed by this)/ research issues around responsible business/stakeholder capitalism/the better business act campaign/charities and social enterprise sectors etc. + communicate that you understand who they are and that you are someone who shares the same values with them.
    Be enthusiastic, smile, and remember to pace yourself and breathe. The people who interviewed me were friendly and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me + my motivations. So, remember to strike a balance between being professional and friendly. Own your story and communicate why it makes you someone who can add value to the firm.

Were you successful?

Yes

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.