BCLP Assessment Centre

kaveesha

Star Member
TCLA Writer
Mar 22, 2018
Hey guys! Haven't been on here in ages. Hope everyone is well :)

I've been invited to an AC at BCLP and would really appreciate any advice from anyone regarding what to expect! I understand the day includes a drafting exercise, a business style role play, a team-based negotiation exercise and an interview. I'm particularly wary of the role play and the negotiation as I've not much (or any!) experience here.

Does anyone have any experience with those elements, even if not at BCLP? Would be very grateful!

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I've been invited to an AC at BCLP and would really appreciate any advice from anyone regarding what to expect! I understand the day includes a drafting exercise, a business style role play, a team-based negotiation exercise and an interview. I'm particularly wary of the role play and the negotiation as I've not much (or any!) experience here.

Does anyone have any experience with those elements, even if not at BCLP? Would be very grateful!

Thanks!
    @Tobi Osho or @bugsy malone may be able to help here!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Thanks!

I had this passed on to me anonymously:

"So we had to do three different tasks: a written case study exercise, a presentation/role play exercise, and a negotiation in pairs.

In the case study we had to read about 6 pages or so about the current market of package holidays/holiday airlines. We were the advisers for X company and had to write a report on: the market standing of X company in amongst its competitors, what X company could do to retain their competitive edge, and whether X company should acquire Y company.

The reading wasn’t too hard to get through. It just kind of listed all of X company’s competitors and the different things they offer, the size of their market share, their demographic etc. You have to hand write the report so be wary of time! I think we got an hour.

After that we went to a different room and waited to get called in to chat with a partner. You basically have to tell them the conclusions you came to/why etc. I remember the partner saying that I could make stuff up if I wanted to because they don’t read your report beforehand so if you missed something out in your report, this is the chance to get it in! This task was really chilled to be honest. They didn’t ask questions, just a couple of follow up ones after speaking. It was about 15 minutes long. Btw, if you’re challenged on your opinions/conclusions, defend your opinion.

Then we were split into teams of two to do a negotiation. We were given 30 minutes to read the stuff/come up with strategies with our partners before the negotiation started. It was about a company that was looking to purchase a solar panel farm and we had to agree on 9 different things like payment, outstanding litigation, government approval etc. We had half an hour to come to a conclusion with another pair on all the points (with the assessor sitting at the head of the table which wasn’t intimidating at all…)

After that we got taken on a tour with a bunch of trainees and the day just sort of came to an end. "

• 🏆
    Reactions: TeeA and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.