Being interesting?

HH

Star Member
Jan 29, 2019
Can't help but notice that a common piece of advice offered by a lot of people is to include something "interesting" as part of your "brand" or mention something "interesting" in applications.

But what is considered "interesting" and what if you're actually pretty mundane? o_O

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Much of it comes down to the way you sell your experiences. You can make seemingly ‘mundane’ activities seem interesting if you drill down on the specifics and tie in why they interested you.

You can also do interesting things though. If you’re at university, I’d encourage you to sign up to societies that interest you and secure committee positions.

Even if you’ve graduated, you can still find things to talk about. I find the most memorable applications are where candidates talk passionately about a hobby or interest they’re pursuing. It’s memorable because they’re clearly doing it because it interests them and not because it’s ‘impressive’. Recent examples include competitive gaming,
    photography and a regular Dungeons & Dragons club!

So I’d start by thinking over what you do at the moment. You’ll have stuff you can already talk about - think about how you can portray that in your applications. And if you’re in a position where you can take on more activities, I’d start by thinking about what interests you and see how you can explore that further.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Abstruser and HH

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.