Best route for a non-law

MrGGx

• Feb 23, 2021
    Hello,

I am a non-law economics student in my 2nd year. I have secured a VS with a MC firm, and a non-legal commercial internship with a FTSE 100 firm. I am currently considering the routes to a TC if I don't convert. A lot of firms don't touch non-laws until 3rd year (for VS etc), and then a lot only recruit from VS.

Therefore,
    -For firms that recruit all TC from VS, how does it work with converting it? If I converted it in 3rd year as a non-law when would the job start, after a gap year?
    -For firms that recruit 40-60% from VS and don't allow non-law to apply til 3rd year, is it better to apply via VS or direct TC as a non-law in your 3rd year?

Thanks a lot

A

Anon08

Thanks for your question!

Just to give context, I am presently a final year (3rd year) non-law student.

The way it works is that if you get a TC offer before your final year (e.g. this summer) you have until the start of your final year to accept (TBC by your firm). If you are offered it in your final year, you normally have 4 weeks to accept.

Once you graduate with your non-law degree - you have to go to law school (most likely to do the PGDL/SQE for 2 years), before starting your 2-year training contract.

Regarding whether to apply for a VS or TC - it honestly doesn't matter too much. As a non-law, and in general, I advise going down the VS route to 1) get experience, 2) know whether the firm is right for you.

Hope that helps!

MrGGx

• Feb 23, 2021
    Thanks for your question!

Just to give context, I am presently a final year (3rd year) non-law student.

The way it works is that if you get a TC offer before your final year (e.g. this summer) you have until the start of your final year to accept (TBC by your firm). If you are offered it in your final year, you normally have 4 weeks to accept.

Once you graduate with your non-law degree - you have to go to law school (most likely to do the PGDL/SQE for 2 years), before starting your 2-year training contract.

Regarding whether to apply for a VS or TC - it honestly doesn't matter too much. As a non-law, and in general, I advise going down the VS route to 1) get experience, 2) know whether the firm is right for you.

Hope that helps!
    Ok, thanks

So do I need to apply to the GDL in my final year even if I only plan to take this if I get a training contract? Or do I just apply for training contracts etc and get given a place if accepted?

Thanks

A

Anon08

Ok, thanks

So do I need to apply to the GDL in my final year even if I only plan to take this if I get a training contract? Or do I just apply for training contracts etc and get given a place if accepted?

Thanks
    Should you be offered a TC and accept (where your law school place is sponsored - which is normally case), the relevant law school will reach out to you as your place is guaranteed!

MrGGx

• Feb 23, 2021
    Should you be offered a TC and accept (where your law school place is sponsored - which is normally case), the relevant law school will reach out to you as your place is guaranteed!
    Ah ok, thanks.

So if I apply to a firm that says non-law should apply in 3rd/final year via it’s VS and I converted that to a TC in spring/summer of my final year, when do you start the GDL? Can it be arranged to start in the coming September at that short notice (given I’d have graduated and don’t want to take a gap year)?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ok, thanks

Thanks
    You won't need to to the GDL, just the SQE. The GDL won't be a complusory qualification from 2022 onwards, although many firms will put people through a rebranded GDL course that will be labelled a postgraduate diploma with SQE prep.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ah ok, thanks.

So if I apply to a firm that says non-law should apply in 3rd/final year via it’s VS and I converted that to a TC in spring/summer of my final year, when do you start the GDL? Can it be arranged to start in the coming September at that short notice (given I’d have graduated and don’t want to take a gap year)?

Thanks
    Yes - it can be arranged that late notice. People are usually still signing up to GDL courses in August/September and some firms have reserved spots/places at their preferred academic suppliers.

Reactions: MrGGx

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.