Bird & Bird Keeping Applications on File

a_m_1

Standard Member
Jan 8, 2020
I applied to the Bird & Bird vacation scheme last year and progressed past application and test to the video interview, however didn't progress past this. The grad rec emailed me saying that they were impressed with my app, test, interview and wanted to keep them on file to review in the next application cycle, explaining that I don't need to redo any of them to be considered for this cycle.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this before? I'm a little confused as to how this works and what I am meant to do this application cycle? On the site I still have to create a whole new app but apparently (according to another email from grad rec) I should submit an app 'with updated information' - does this mean I should amend my application substantively or just with work experience, modules etc?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I applied to the Bird & Bird vacation scheme last year and progressed past application and test to the video interview, however didn't progress past this. The grad rec emailed me saying that they were impressed with my app, test, interview and wanted to keep them on file to review in the next application cycle, explaining that I don't need to redo any of them to be considered for this cycle.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this before? I'm a little confused as to how this works and what I am meant to do this application cycle? On the site I still have to create a whole new app but apparently (according to another email from grad rec) I should submit an app 'with updated information' - does this mean I should amend my application substantively or just with work experience, modules etc?
I haven’t experienced this nor heard of it I don’t think but did grad rec say I’d you resubmit the app substantively the same but with the necessary updates that you’ll still need to redo the other process assessments? I just wonder whether they wish for you to simply resubmit an app (I think they mean the same one but with updates like grades and work experience you’ll have done since first submission) and they can somehow fast track you on their end?

If you’re doubtful I’d be tempted to email grad rec and express you know they’re busy but maybe ask to schedule a ten minute call to just chat through the process and what they need :)

You must have really impressed them so well done! Fingers crossed for you :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Mary12

Oct 12, 2019
I received the same email last year so contacted them about this, and they said as there was a new graduate recruitment team this was no longer the case and you would have to go through the whole process again including Watson Glaser and video interview.

a_m_1

Standard Member
Jan 8, 2020
I received the same email last year so contacted them about this, and they said as there was a new graduate recruitment team this was no longer the case and you would have to go through the whole process again including Watson Glaser and video interview.

Ah, same! Sad times, but I guess it's good to know we did well in the past so hopefully will again!

• 🤝
Reactions: Mary12

a_m_1

Standard Member
Jan 8, 2020
I haven’t experienced this nor heard of it I don’t think but did grad rec say I’d you resubmit the app substantively the same but with the necessary updates that you’ll still need to redo the other process assessments? I just wonder whether they wish for you to simply resubmit an app (I think they mean the same one but with updates like grades and work experience you’ll have done since first submission) and they can somehow fast track you on their end?

If you’re doubtful I’d be tempted to email grad rec and express you know they’re busy but maybe ask to schedule a ten minute call to just chat through the process and what they need :)

You must have really impressed them so well done! Fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks for this! I emailed them and this year the process is different since their grad rec team has changed, which is a bit of a bummer, but still it's good to know my last app went well so hopefully will be able to do well again this year!

Reactions: Alice G

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
I was looking for Bird & Bird application boards and I came across this. Over the last 3 years I applied and they sent the WG test within 3 days. This time It has been a month already and I was wondering why it suddenly changed... guess I got my answer.

Anyway, have you applied? And if so, any chance that you received your WG test already? I sent my app in on 12 Sep and I haven't heard back. I'm just being a worry wart.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I was looking for Bird & Bird application boards and I came across this. Over the last 3 years I applied and they sent the WG test within 3 days. This time It has been a month already and I was wondering why it suddenly changed... guess I got my answer.

Anyway, have you applied? And if so, any chance that you received your WG test already? I sent my app in on 12 Sep and I haven't heard back. I'm just being a worry wart.
    Do you remember if in the previous years they stated they would screen applications before sending the test? I know for this cycle they say they screen applications first so could be why its taking longer this time?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    can some one please advise me. Sort of stuck how to answer this question - "In your view, what will be the greatest innovation to influence the firm in the next 5 years and why?"

what thoughts have you had so far?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    maybe an innovation within legal tech that could change practices. But tech is such a common answer.

I am really unsure how to go approach it.

I would advise doing some in-depth research into Bird & Bird and the major trends affecting firms like Bird & Bird (considering the type of firm it is). If you want a shot at writing a stand-out answer here, you need to really understand what are the changes going on first, before answering this question.

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    I would advise doing some in-depth research into Bird & Bird and the major trends affecting firms like Bird & Bird (considering the type of firm it is). If you want a shot at writing a stand-out answer here, you need to really understand what are the changes going on first, before answering this question.
    Thank you Jaysen. That’s a helpful starting point. I will do some research and then come back here to discuss my idea further if I get stuck again.

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
    Do you remember if in the previous years they stated they would screen applications before sending the test? I know for this cycle they say they screen applications first so could be why its taking longer this time?
    From what I remember, yes, they said they screened applications first in previous years before you got the test. Still, I usually got the test within 3 working days of submitting my application. A bit nervous now - have you gotten your test?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    From what I remember, yes, they said they screened applications first in previous years before you got the test. Still, I usually got the test within 3 working days of submitting my application. A bit nervous now - have you gotten your test?
    I submitted my application two weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.