BPP LPC help. 3Days?

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Was just wondering whether are we expected to indicate our preferred modules for Electives anywhere (email, the Hub, VLE)? Or would that perhaps be some time later?

Was worried that some might have already been asked their preferences... Thanks all!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    (i) We can also see Business law now on the Hub (and the pre-reading within it).

(ii) On the electives we saw something on the Hub saying you do not choose them yet - see below. That is also my recollection from when my daughters did the LPC with BPP. You are supposed to read Programme Information I think it is once a week to check for messages from the programme leader.

Under My Learning/Welcome/Useful Information including Finance (slightly hidden away) is a section on "electives" which says:
    "You will study three vocational electives subjects from a choice of up to 16. To help you choose your electives, please consider:

- the PDF files below; and

- the detailed module outlines available in the Programme Handbook (see the 'Handbook, Rules, Policies' tab).

Please note that elective modules will only run subject to demand and that not all electives will necessarily run in each mode at each centre.

We suggest that you start by reading the document 'Choosing your electives', which provides guidance as to how to go about choosing your elective modules, as well as information about combinations which are not permitted or not advisable. The second document, 'Elective choices and Module Summaries', will then supplement this information by providing a summary of the content of each of the elective modules.

Should you need more detail on the content of the elective modules, you can find this in the module outlines, which are contained in the Programme Handbook."

One of the documents under that - a pdf says:
    "Electives Choices and Module Descriptions
    You must commit to your choice of electives by the date specified by your Programme Leader. Your Programme Leader will give you more information in their regular updates"

(By the way that page "Useful information" also includes doctors, council tax and London travel)

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Everyone! As I have not received my books from BPP yet, I was just wondering whether the pdfs workbooks and materials on The Hub are equivalent to the hardcopy materials sent to you?

Would anyone be able to advise on this? Or are the hardcopy materials an extension of the softcopies and therefore extra materials that we definitely require?

Thank you very much to all!

M&A

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 5, 2019
    Hi Everyone! As I have not received my books from BPP yet, I was just wondering whether the pdfs workbooks and materials on The Hub are equivalent to the hardcopy materials sent to you?

Would anyone be able to advise on this? Or are the hardcopy materials an extension of the softcopies and therefore extra materials that we definitely require?

Thank you very much to all!
    They are the same. All the materials are on the tiles. In fact the SGS themselves are only softcopies.

M&A

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 5, 2019
    Thanks so much @M&A ! Also, just wondering whether has anyone NOT received their timetables?

I certainly haven't!
    Pleasure.

If by "receiving" you mean an email or a warning that they are ready, then no. The timetable will appear in your outlook calendar synced with your bpp email address. You need to login to your account first. However, I had to follow up with them as my account was set up but timetable was not displaying. They sorted it in day or so.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Thanks again @M&A . Wanted to also clarify the pre-module readings and teachings required. under "preparation before teaching starts" tile, I see that for Property Law and Practice, it includes "Lectures 1 &2".

Correct me if I am wrong, but the total prep required are the 15 tick boxes right? Thats around 3-4 hours of recorded lectures, or perhaps I misread it?

Last edited:

M&A

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 5, 2019
    Thanks again @M&A . Wanted to also clarify the pre-module readings and teachings required. under "preparation before teaching starts" tile, I see that for Property Law and Practice, it includes "Lectures 1 &2".

Correct me if I am wrong, but the total prep required are the 15 tick boxes right? Thats around 3-4 hours of recorded lectures, or perhaps I misread it?
    There are 15 tick boxes but some are just slides which you can see in the lectures themselves. There are 1intro lecture and 2 main lectures which are split into parts. About 3 h in total. The lectures follow the chapters closely. So it is up to you, I guess, whether to only read the chapters, or only watch the lectures, or both. The chapters themselves are all there as well. The first SGS for the following week cover the topics of those first lectures.

Remember that there is the BLP pre reading and there is a small test to do within the first weeks.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hiya! Asking for a friend - is there anything on your timetable for week commencing 6th september or do things only start on the 13th of september for you? :) thanks!!
    Yeah I've got two induction sessions on the Monday which seem to be online and then an in-person introductory SGS on the Friday of that week

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hi Daniel - is the Friday SGS concerning the LLM induction?

Strangely, my induction are all on Monday, nothing on Friday.
    The SGS is the Welcome SGS Induction and will be in the SGS group you’ll be in for the rest of your sessions, which explains why they’re all different days! Mine is Wednesday but I also have two induction lectures on Monday

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My son has welcome lecture and support services lecture on Monday 6th Sept ( so two ) and then in person in Holborn first Welcome for his particular group - it gives the group number.

Separate issue my two on the VLE timetable have been moved to the same group as each other which is also just on two days a week only (their ideal and what they originally requested and also recently requested). On the Hub they are still showing as in different groups from each other over 4 days a week. We are assuming the Hub is wrong but one of them is going to call BPP tomorrow to check and they plan to attend in person for their group VLE named group next week unless told otherwise by BPP. I just saw the UoL box of books on a video call which had just arrived for UL LPC person - lovely real text books just like in my day....anyway the BPP teaching and materials are good and I am sure everyone will do fine.

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    Hi all! I've been lurking the thread for the past few weeks to help reassure myself I was doing everything correctly, so thanks for the help!

@Jane Smith, I believe we are not meant to be using the VLE at all, only The Hub. So yes they should definitely call and check, but I believe what is on the O365 calender or anything on The Hub, is to be trusted.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    h1, You might well be right - it is just my sons were in different groups over 4 days when the timetables were issued last Friday night, so one put in a request via BPP to have that changed for them both (as they had said on the survey they wanted 2 days a week and to be in the same group for various reasons ) and then he called up about it. One had been showing on the 0365 calendar his original 4 day group and the same on VLE, but today VLE has changed for him to his request - 2 days a week and different group number. His twin's VLE is also showing the same new group and 2 days a week. In other words VLE looks like the days and same group they have both requested so perhaps the Hub itself has just not been updated yet. They have not yet had an email response from BPP about moving groups. It is about an hour door to door to BPP for us so 2 days a week is easier than 4. Anyway here is hoping the move to 2 days a week is in fact not just wishful thinking on our part...... if he cannot get through by 'phone I suggested doing another BPP contact form tomorrow thanking them for the switch of group and mentioining the change is not showing on the Hub yet just VLE which at least might prompt a BPP response. Their older sister said when she did the LPC it was really easy to switch groups. She moved from afternoons to mornings back in the day.....

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.