BPP LPC Study Planner - Manchester/Holborn

Cer96

Star Member
Future Trainee
Aug 13, 2020
Hi everyone!

I'm due to start the LPC with BPP in September this year, but my firm have given me the choice between studying in Manchester or London: (tl;dr, I'm hoping somebody can send me the LPC study planners from those centres this year).

I'm leaning towards Manchester just because living costs (absolutely not feeling London rent as a full time student - especially if Holborn does end up closing lol), but want to check that Manchester traditionally offer all the electives I want to study, and get a rough sense of their timetable before I commit - ideally I want to make sure I can condense studying into 2/3 days a week. I know this will likely change each year, but want a general sense.

I attended a BPP open evening 2 months ago to ask for this and they provided me with an email to contact and told me to request the September 2020 study planner or draft September 2021 study planner. Since then I have emailed 3 times, and submitted a separate inquiry through a webform and have had absolutely zero reponse.

This kind of ghosting seems to track with what I've heard about BPP, so I was wondering if anyone is able to provide me with a copy of the 2020 study planners for either Holborn or Manchester?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
Hi,

I made the choice this year too and went with Manchester because of the rent costs/food is literally 30% of London if you shop in the right places.

Based on this year, Manchester gives you the option of having your first half (core modules) condensed into two days or half days across four, although I'd be surprised if London didn't offer this too, but once Skills start in Feb the days become random; we had our skill classes on Tue and Thur over the past month.

Please see this year's study planner, but I'm not sure it'll be much help re elective timetables and also because I've found the time they allocate for everything is far too much on it.

Which modules are your firm making you study? because if it's the traditional City ones then they'll definitely be offered given the Pinsent/DWF/Eversheds future trainees all attend BPP here.

Re admin, yeah BPP are useless. I still haven't received my student id/confirmation I am a student after 6 months.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• LPC FST Study planner.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 101
  • LPC FTC Sept Study planner 2020-21.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Cer96

Cer96

Star Member
Future Trainee
Aug 13, 2020
Hi,

I made the choice this year too and went with Manchester because of the rent costs/food is literally 30% of London if you shop in the right places.

Based on this year, Manchester gives you the option of having your first half (core modules) condensed into two days or half days across four, although I'd be surprised if London didn't offer this too, but once Skills start in Feb the days become random; we had our skill classes on Tue and Thur over the past month.

Please see this year's study planner, but I'm not sure it'll be much help re elective timetables and also because I've found the time they allocate for everything is far too much on it.
This is brilliantly helpful - Thanks so much. Really it's just good to know it's possible to condense into 2 days and they seemingly do everything I could need in Manchester.

I appreciate it's probably all been online so might not be much you can comment on, but how have you found being a student in Manchester/the LPC more broadly?

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
No worries.

I grew up here so can't comment on the 'experience' so much given I already knew every inch of the city. My secondary school was literally a few minutes walk from BPP.

However, as someone who has also lived in London for several years/had friends on the LPC there, the main difference here is that the cohort (this year anyway) is far smaller. For context there's 140ish of us v over 800 in London. So forming real relationships with your teachers has been a lot easier, even online. I am self-funding and was scared of the comments I'd heard about London students being cliquey, whereas here there's no distinction and my group is a mix of DWF/Eversheds/Self-funders with our WhatsApp group very active despite never having met any of them in person. The BPP building itself is in on the border of Manchester University's main campus so there's lots of cheap bars/food around to hang out with course mates, in normal times. Re online, I am probably in the minority but I found the shift fairly easy to online as the LPC doesn't really require full attention, it's only the social element that's lost.

Also generally everything is just easier here in my view; for example I pay 70% less than London for a gym that is far, far nicer and it is refreshing, even when social distancing is in place, to have strangers start conversations with you, as opposed to pushing you on the tube. I am also very glad I am spending lockdown here, with the massive amounts of empty green space, as opposed to in Clapham or similar. The things I preferred about London don't exist during the current restrictions and frankly I doubt they'll return this year.

DM me if you have something more specific in mind.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.