BPP SQE

moxiebobo

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2020
Hello,

If anyone is starting on the BPP SQE course this September (particularly those in the City Consortium Course, which I imagine may be slightly different), what does the timetable look like (i.e. is it spread across all 5 days or only a few days a week)? I am due to start in Feb and am wondering if I can continue to work in my current position part-time alongside the SQE course.

Thank you.

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Hi - I've just started on the SQE at BPP this month under the City Consortium. The timetable depends entirely on which groups you are put into (the cohort gets split up into groups of about 20 people), and can even change from week to week. You can expect to be on campus between 3-5 days a week, with each class generally lasting about 2 hours.

Personally with how the timetable can change + how intensive the course is and how much material there is to learn, I wouldn't recommend trying to work part-time alongside the course unless it's very limited hours and you're confident you can juggle the workload. This would need to be discussed with your firm as well.

moxiebobo

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2020
Hi,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I've heard similar things from others so this is helpful to hear that most people's experiences align. Also useful to know your personal experience with it and that it should be discussed with firm.

Thanks again - super helpful.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Hi - I've just started on the SQE at BPP this month under the City Consortium. The timetable depends entirely on which groups you are put into (the cohort gets split up into groups of about 20 people), and can even change from week to week. You can expect to be on campus between 3-5 days a week, with each class generally lasting about 2 hours.

Personally with how the timetable can change + how intensive the course is and how much material there is to learn, I wouldn't recommend trying to work part-time alongside the course unless it's very limited hours and you're confident you can juggle the workload. This would need to be discussed with your firm as well.
Hi - is this course really that intense or on a similar level to the GDL? My firm is only giving us 7k and I need to work at least 15-20 hours a week to cover rent and basic utilities. Will this be a problem?

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Hi - is this course really that intense or on a similar level to the GDL? My firm is only giving us 7k and I need to work at least 15-20 hours a week to cover rent and basic utilities. Will this be a problem?
Ah I just noticed your post - I didn't do the GDL so I can't comment on how it compares to the GDL specifically, but I know that myself and everyone else on my SQE cohort (including those who did the GDL) found it to be very intense and difficult. I would not underestimate the level of work needed to pass at all. If you are planning to study the SQE full time + do min 15-20 hours a week of work it would be tricky imo, but if you don't have a choice then you need to discuss it with your firm as some don't like their future trainees working alongside the SQE (though they tend to give you more for a maintenance grant).

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Ah I just noticed your post - I didn't do the GDL so I can't comment on how it compares to the GDL specifically, but I know that myself and everyone else on my SQE cohort (including those who did the GDL) found it to be very intense and difficult. I would not underestimate the level of work needed to pass at all. If you are planning to study the SQE full time + do min 15-20 hours a week of work it would be tricky imo, but if you don't have a choice then you need to discuss it with your firm as some don't like their future trainees working alongside the SQE (though they tend to give you more for a maintenance grant).
Thank you. I mean if they won’t allow me, I won’t be able to do the sqe simply haha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.