Bristows video interview

pkedits

Standard Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hi everyone - I just got an invite to do a Bristows video interview - would be very grateful for any advice/insight from anyone who's done one! (bristows specifically but generally as well would be super helpful!)

Also the email says I have three days to complete - the deadline is 18 January 2021 (GMT+00:00) - does that mean midnight on Sunday or midnight on Monday?? My interpretation was midnight on Monday but my flatmate thinks Sunday so now I'm panicking I have a day less than I thought!

Many thanks!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi there,

I would interpret that deadline as you needing to submit the VI by 11.59 on Sunday as it closes at 12 midnight on Monday.

General VI advice:

Completely agree with everything that Jacob just said! Some additional tips:

1. Expect a mix of competency and commercial questions. I think most of them are competency questions with one commercial one so prepare for some of the typical competencies that firms look for like teamwork, time management and resilience. Also prepare for the most common type of commercial question i.e. "Tell me about a recent news story and how it affects the firm".
    2. Practice - Maybe by talking aloud to a friend on skype or if you have a premium membership on TCLA, there's a great VI simulator.
    2. Make full use of the preparation time given to you. Most VI platforms give you 30 seconds to prepare your answer, so have a paper and pen next to you in case you need to jot your answers and key points down.
    3. Be as succinct as possible. The tough thing about VIs is that it's really difficult to get your point across on why you want to join a firm you really like/how you showed teamwork in 1.5 minutes. So keep a simple structure, use clear pointers like "Firstly, secondly, thirdly" if need be.
    5. Projection - However loudly you speak in real life, speak twice as loudly because I've always found from recording myself that audio can sometimes end up sounding muffled no matter how good of a recording device I have. Also speak slowly and clearly and try not to rush through your answers!
    6. Look at the webcam when you speak and not yourself/the screen (can feel a bit awkward doing this at first, but do try practicing it). It can also help to put the webcam at eye-level using books/a stand like Jacob mentioned.
    7. Enthusiasm - Smile a lot. Even if the VI is the last place you want to be (which for most people it is), make sure that you're desire to work at the firm is really conveyed in your body language!

I don't know anyone that doesn't dislike video interviews and I was an absolute nervous wreck doing mine. But even when I stumbled, I always tried to remind myself to just take a deep breath and if really need be re-start the sentence or what I was saying. Like Jacob said, I think GR know how tough VIs are on everybody so don't be too hard on yourself if you slip up slightly.

Good luck with your VI today, I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

Bristows specific VI advice - unfortunately I don't have experience myself with Bristows, but here is what I could find on the forums:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ew-tips-share-2018-2019.709/page-78#post-9410
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....erview-tips-2019-2020.1423/page-40#post-15890

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone - I just got an invite to do a Bristows video interview - would be very grateful for any advice/insight from anyone who's done one! (bristows specifically but generally as well would be super helpful!)

Also the email says I have three days to complete - the deadline is 18 January 2021 (GMT+00:00) - does that mean midnight on Sunday or midnight on Monday?? My interpretation was midnight on Monday but my flatmate thinks Sunday so now I'm panicking I have a day less than I thought!

Many thanks!

If this is on Launchpad they actually mean 23.59 on 18 January.

It is a consistent fault across firms (which I don’t know why Launchpad haven’t corrected their template wording about)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Dheepa

xvcardell

Jan 15, 2021
    Hi there, I did a VI at Bristows for the IP workshop a few months ago. I would interpret the deadline as midnight on Sunday.

I was asked questions about skills I have developed to be a solicitor, career motivations and why the worshop etc.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Last edited:

pkedits

Standard Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    Hi there,

I would interpret that deadline as you needing to submit the VI by 11.59 on Sunday as it closes at 12 midnight on Monday.

General VI advice:

Bristows specific VI advice - unfortunately I don't have experience myself with Bristows, but here is what I could find on the forums:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ew-tips-share-2018-2019.709/page-78#post-9410
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....erview-tips-2019-2020.1423/page-40#post-15890
    Thanks very much - this was really helpful!

pkedits

Standard Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    Hi there, I did a VI at Bristows for the IP workshop a few months ago. I would interpret the deadline as midnight on Sunday.

I was asked questions about skills I have developed to be a solicitor, career motivations and why the worshop etc.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Thanks for this - I had slightly different question but this was useful to know the types of things I needed to prepare for.

adamBS

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2021
    Hi, sorry to dig up an old thread but I've been invited to the Bristows VI and was wondering what kind of thing I should expect them to ask? I assume why law and why Bristows but is there any curveball usually?

Reactions: OompaLoompa

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.