Burges Salmon / Stephenson Harwood Interviews + AC

MDS

Oct 3, 2020
Hey guys! I've gotten through to Burges Salmon's AC and partner interview (happening this week). I've also gotten to interview stage with Stephenson Harwood.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences or tips to do with the firms?

It's my first legal interview so I'm very nervous!

• 🏆
Reactions: NMD

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
What are the elements of the ACs? We have lots of material on various AC components I can look into linking for you - they might not be firm specific but give detailed advice on how to approach tasks/interviews etc.

Congratulations on your AC invites!!

• 🤝
Reactions: MDS

MDS

Oct 3, 2020
Hi @Alice G , thanks for your reply I appreciate it. For Burges Salmon they've said there will be a written exercise, a presentation (on the written exercise) and a watson Glaser test. I'm not too worried about the Watson Glasers as I've done loads of practice. But as I'm non-law, I'm worried about the written exercise and how legal it might be. As they haven't indicated if it's going to be a case study etc, I'm just going to try prepare for all eventualities.

Last edited:

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
Hi, I interviewed unsuccessfully for SH a few weeks ago. I had my feedback call today so can share what I wrote for another member last week and also their criteria they shared today.

What I DM'd to another a while back:
Interviewed for the SH Winter Placement last Tuesday, so can offer a few tips. It's over Zoom through their conferencing system and I had two people (both HR) doing it. Generally it was very casual and focussed on person questions (why law, why your uni, favourite modules, least favourite, tell us about deals of ours you found interesting) with follow-up questions normally 'explain that in simple terms so anyone could understand'. I'd just be yourself as, mine anyway, was very built around the CV. There were also lots of competency, like teamwork example and stressful situation. In relation to teamwork they then followed up asking what the boundary between teamwork and leadership is for me

Following feedback call today they are marking you on four skills: Intellect (how clearly you explain things throughout and simplify things throughout so anyone can understand), responsibility (how you've led, innovation and teamwork examples), inter-personal (how examples are phrased and general rapport), commercial awareness and how you identified legal issues in general discussion/your answers, they stressed the need for PESTLE and long v short term issues.

I fell down on inter-personal for 'speaking too quickly' and assuming knowledge, so literally take nothing for granted; for example in my case I was asked to explain a legal concept and used that morning's headline news to do so but was criticised for not using more simple examples that anyone would know.

Best of luck.

MDS

Oct 3, 2020
Hi, I interviewed unsuccessfully for SH a few weeks ago. I had my feedback call today so can share what I wrote for another member last week and also their criteria they shared today.

What I DM'd to another a while back:
Interviewed for the SH Winter Placement last Tuesday, so can offer a few tips. It's over Zoom through their conferencing system and I had two people (both HR) doing it. Generally it was very casual and focussed on person questions (why law, why your uni, favourite modules, least favourite, tell us about deals of ours you found interesting) with follow-up questions normally 'explain that in simple terms so anyone could understand'. I'd just be yourself as, mine anyway, was very built around the CV. There were also lots of competency, like teamwork example and stressful situation. In relation to teamwork they then followed up asking what the boundary between teamwork and leadership is for me

Following feedback call today they are marking you on four skills: Intellect (how clearly you explain things throughout and simplify things throughout so anyone can understand), responsibility (how you've led, innovation and teamwork examples), inter-personal (how examples are phrased and general rapport), commercial awareness and how you identified legal issues in general discussion/your answers, they stressed the need for PESTLE and long v short term issues.

I fell down on inter-personal for 'speaking too quickly' and assuming knowledge, so literally take nothing for granted; for example in my case I was asked to explain a legal concept and used that morning's headline news to do so but was criticised for not using more simple examples that anyone would know.

Best of luck.
This is so helpful thank you so much!

Reactions: OH

MDS

Oct 3, 2020
Hey all, thought I'd write up my experiences from the Burges Salmon AC I had today to help others looking to apply to the firm!

So first off, everyone was really friendly. We started off with a half-hour talk from a partner, talking about her career and a bit more about the firm.

We then had a written exercise which we were given 1.5hrs to complete (a trainee said they give the virtual AC cohorts extra time to accommodate for technical issues etc). It was fairly ok, had to look at the strengths and weaknesses of two companies for a client investment.

Then, had to give a presentation on the written exercise. This was the bit I was really nervous about, but it was just 5 min presentation with you and a member of graduate recruitment. They asked two questions (greatest strength/greatest weakness of the investment opportunity you chose). It really wasn't bad at all.

Next was a standard 30min Watson Glaser.

We finished off with an hour of networking with a trainee which was really nice. They put you into groups of four and chatted amongst yourselves for an hour to learn more about the firm. This bit wasn't assessed and was just for you to learn more about the firm.

Overall, it was a really nice day. I was expecting to have more group interaction with our cohort, but I guess that's the way it goes with covid.

I'll update tomorrow after my interview to give those looking to apply an insight into that as well!

MDS

Oct 3, 2020
With the interview, it was fairly straightforward. There was a senior associate and a member of the recruitment team. Questions were: why law, why Burges, competency question on teamwork, one weakness, one strength, how I would approach a virtual vacation scheme vs an in-person one. She also asked me to summarise one of my answers I wrote in my application, and then asked what the biggest challenge Burges might face in the next five years. The interview bit ended about 25/30 min into the 45-minute time slot. Then, the focus was put on questions I had for the firm. I had only prepared three questions as I was expecting the interview to last longer - but I ended up thinking of more on the spot and chatted for the rest of the allocated time. If I was giving advice to those going to complete the interview, is to think of five to six interesting questions you want to ask the firm and know your application answers inside and out. The interviewers were friendly!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.