Can final-year law students apply?

Leen

• Sep 15, 2020
    Hello TCLA Community!

I don't know if this is obvious but when a firm states they accept applications from law students in their penultimate year, or final-year non-law students (and graduates are welcome to apply), does that mean final-year law students can apply too?

For example, this is from Shearman & Sterling's website:

" You should therefore apply for vacation schemes in your penultimate year of an undergraduate qualifying law degree, or final year of any other undergraduate degree. Graduates are also welcome to apply. "

I would really appreciate your help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No - it seems fairly clear from this that as a law student you can either apply in your penultimate year at university, or when you have graduated - not while a finalist. The "or" bit seems fairly definitive to me.

Maybe @Jessica Booker and @Paul - Shearman & Sterling could clarify this possibly?

Completely agree - this says to me that the opportunity is only open to penultimate year law students, final year non-law students or graduates.

Not sure why final year law students are excluded though given graduates can apply. It might be that there is a separate application window or vacancy specifically for them.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    No - it seems fairly clear from this that as a law student you can either apply in your penultimate year at university, or when you have graduated - not while a finalist. The "or" bit seems fairly definitive to me.

Maybe @Jessica Booker and @Paul - Shearman & Sterling could clarify this possibly?

Anyone can apply for our vacation schemes - they're not limited to particular year groups.

• 📥
    Reactions: Leen and ykwim12

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone can apply for our vacation schemes - they're not limited to particular year groups.

Not sure where the wording above is from, but if it is on your website would it be possible to remove the “other” from the sentence? To me this is where the confusion lies, as I read it as only other degrees (from law) can apply in their final year.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.