Can having your own business count as work experience?

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Hello, i am a recent Law graduate. I applied for a couple of vacation schemes and training contracts last winter but i was unsuccessful. Looking back, i can really understand why so i went for every opportunity possible and i have completed numerous certifications since, internships, online work experiences especially at the firms that i want to apply for next and i have attended many fairs and spoke to recruitment too alongside volunteering. I was also lucky enough to be asked to write a blog for my law school and i was been invited to things by the dean during my first year of uni. One thing i have not had yet is my first job but i will be working soon. However, i created my own small business right after graduation this year which has been going good. I want to know if it will count as work experience on applications? I added the first half for context because i believe i have come really far since last winter and so any input in that aspect would be nice too (Perhaps it is not enough). I also hold a 2:1 - (68%) in a mixed law degree.

Thank you! :)

Edit: I am not from a Russell Group university but it is in the same city as a Russell Group university.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes - self employment should definitely be included. Be aware that you should keep records of your business to be able to prove this employment though - eg tax submissions, formal company registrations, bank accounts etc. and that you’ll probably need to find someone who can provide some kind of reference for this self employment (for instance, my accountant does this for me with my self-employment).

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Yes - self employment should definitely be included. Be aware that you should keep records of your business to be able to prove this employment though - eg tax submissions, formal company registrations, bank accounts etc. and that you’ll probably need to find someone who can provide some kind of reference for this self employment (for instance, my accountant does this for me with my self-employment).
    Okay, thank you! I don't fill in self-assessment forms because i haven't met the £1000 threshold yet, my small business is on Etsy :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.