Can I get a vac scheme with a 2:2 in first year?

whywhy88

Jul 6, 2023
Hi. I received my first year exam results today and was devastated to see that I only achieved a mid 2:2 (55%). I struggled a lot with moving to University and throughout the year due to my Autism and other mental health struggles that left me constantly overwhelmed and unable to leave my room to attend lectures etc, which my University is aware of. Have I completely messed up my chance of getting a vac scheme next year, or is there still hope that firms might accept my applications? I will be mentioning the above as extenuating circumstances on my applications but I'm just really angry at myself for letting my academics slip and I really hope that I still have a chance at getting a vac scheme.
Any advice would be welcomed.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi. I received my first year exam results today and was devastated to see that I only achieved a mid 2:2 (55%). I struggled a lot with moving to University and throughout the year due to my Autism and other mental health struggles that left me constantly overwhelmed and unable to leave my room to attend lectures etc, which my University is aware of. Have I completely messed up my chance of getting a vac scheme next year, or is there still hope that firms might accept my applications? I will be mentioning the above as extenuating circumstances on my applications but I'm just really angry at myself for letting my academics slip and I really hope that I still have a chance at getting a vac scheme.
Any advice would be welcomed.
The first thing to stress is you have plenty of time to get a vacation scheme - they are not limited to next summer.

For many firms it will be a challenge to assess your academic absolutises given your mitigating circumstances cover all of your degree (at present). They may look at your college/school grades more carefully, but many may just encourage you to apply once you have stronger grades.

You may also want to look for alternatives outside of commercial firms. You may find in-house internships or things like the Government Legal Department, as well as informal work experience opportunities as ways to build up your CV.

I would encourage you to focus more on your mental health first and getting your grades up second though - particular the former needs to be your priority rather than concerning yourself about vacation schemes.

Reactions: Jaysen and whywhy88

whywhy88

Jul 6, 2023
The first thing to stress is you have plenty of time to get a vacation scheme - they are not limited to next summer.

For many firms it will be a challenge to assess your academic absolutises given your mitigating circumstances cover all of your degree (at present). They may look at your college/school grades more carefully, but many may just encourage you to apply once you have stronger grades.

You may also want to look for alternatives outside of commercial firms. You may find in-house internships or things like the Government Legal Department, as well as informal work experience opportunities as ways to build up your CV.

I would encourage you to focus more on your mental health first and getting your grades up second though - particular the former needs to be your priority rather than concerning yourself about vacation schemes.
Thank you for the advice I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm going to put my everything into applications etc (whilst taking care of my MH) and if I'm not successful, I'll just apply again in my third year with hopefully better grades.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

roy2612

Dec 15, 2021
I just wanted to add that even though the vast majority of firms will insist on a 2.1 there are some firms that don't have grade requirements or that are more flexible. I got a vac scheme at eversheds sutherland and osborne clarke with a 2.2 so don't be discouraged at all; I would just suggest you choose firms selectively and make few and well tailored applications. I know how disheartening that feeling is and how anxious you may feel but it is definitely not the end!

SalmaNasser

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
I just wanted to add that even though the vast majority of firms will insist on a 2.1 there are some firms that don't have grade requirements or that are more flexible. I got a vac scheme at eversheds sutherland and osborne clarke with a 2.2 so don't be discouraged at all; I would just suggest you choose firms selectively and make few and well tailored applications. I know how disheartening that feeling is and how anxious you may feel but it is definitely not the end!
Hey, I was just wondering when you were filling out the application for Eversheds Sutherland, did you say that you are not on track to achieving a 2.1? As they ask you in the application to state if you are

Serendee

Dec 4, 2023
Hi was wondering when you got the vacation scheme for ES - I am a third year and predicted a low 2:1 and was concerned whether it would hinder my chances regarding a VS

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.