[CAPP] Online tests (Verbal reasoning/interpretation)

Mamie

Jan 19, 2019
Hi everyone,

I just have a quick query about assessments for verbal reasoning. This might be specific to CAPP but it might come up on other ones too.

Under the interpretation section the question is often phrased "Rank the following from the MOST positive to the LEAST positive". If this is an action (e.g. "Rank the following from the MOST positive to the LEAST positive" about going to the gym) then what do they mean by positive? Are we supposed to gauge the tone of the response e.g. if they say "how exciting, what a great idea", or are we supposed to gauge the likelihood of them taking up that action e.g. the difference between "yeah okay, I will look at my diary to see when I can come" vs. "that's a great idea but I'm not sure about the timing"? For me, "I will look at my diary" seems to be quite a positive, pro-active response, while "that's a great idea" is more positive in tone yet not really promising anything. Hope that makes sense?

Thank you!

UPDATE: I found some old notes I have which say:
"Positivity = consideration of the siatuation and the subjects interest (i.e. offering assistance or advice, having the addressee's interests as a concern) as well as support and enthusiasm"

So resolved, haha! Hope this helps anyone else who might be taking these tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

I just have a quick query about assessments for verbal reasoning. This might be specific to CAPP but it might come up on other ones too.

Under the interpretation section the question is often phrased "Rank the following from the MOST positive to the LEAST positive". If this is an action (e.g. "Rank the following from the MOST positive to the LEAST positive" about going to the gym) then what do they mean by positive? Are we supposed to gauge the tone of the response e.g. if they say "how exciting, what a great idea", or are we supposed to gauge the likelihood of them taking up that action e.g. the difference between "yeah okay, I will look at my diary to see when I can come" vs. "that's a great idea but I'm not sure about the timing"? For me, "I will look at my diary" seems to be quite a positive, pro-active response, while "that's a great idea" is more positive in tone yet not really promising anything. Hope that makes sense?

Thank you!

UPDATE: I found some old notes I have which say:
"Positivity = consideration of the siatuation and the subjects interest (i.e. offering assistance or advice, having the addressee's interests as a concern) as well as support and enthusiasm"

So resolved, haha! Hope this helps anyone else who might be taking these tests.

Thanks for sharing Mamie. Glad to see that you have resolved it.

Reactions: Mamie

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.