Career Change: Audit to Corporate Law

auditor237

Nov 15, 2019
Hello!

I am a audit professional currently working and training towards the ACA qualification at one of the Big4 firms in the UK. I'm looking to venture into corporate law after qualifying as a chartered accountant, and am wondering what my chances are at making this career change.

Does anyone know of any trainee solicitors or qualified solicitors who have previously worked in different industries? I'm hoping to find out what the biggest challenge when it comes to applying for a training contract at a Magic Circle firm would be and how best to prepare for them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know of a small number of people that took this route.

Biggest challenges for career changers are explaining why they are willing to take a step backwards, especially to commit to the GDL/ LPC and not earn anything during that time. Sometimes the reasons why they are leaving their previous career is as applicable to a career in law, so their rationale for the change can sometimes seem a little flawed.

auditor237

Nov 15, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for the reply! Ah doesn't the incoming SQE mean that aspiring solicitors no longer have to commit to not earning anything whilst qualifying? I've read that the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) wants candidates to gain their QWE in between SQE stages one and two, unlike the current system where trainees complete the LPC before starting a two-year training contract; which is why I have decided to change careers after qualifying as a chartered accountant.

Please correct me if I had misunderstood how the SQE works.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for the reply! Ah doesn't the incoming SQE mean that aspiring solicitors no longer have to commit to not earning anything whilst qualifying? I've read that the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) wants candidates to gain their QWE in between SQE stages one and two, unlike the current system where trainees complete the LPC before starting a two-year training contract; which is why I have decided to change careers after qualifying as a chartered accountant.

Please correct me if I had misunderstood how the SQE works.

That is how it works. Although sounds like many firms will expect you to pass SQE before commencing the TC, and it’s expected many will put their future trainees through a prep course, so not dissimilar to the LPC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.