Career changer help

zoezozo

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 6, 2024
Hi all, I'm really excited to join the TCLA community! This is my first post and I'm looking for some serious advice regarding my current position as a career changer.

1. I graduated from in 2021 from a RG university with a low/mid 2:1. However, I failed 3 modules in my first and second year and had to resit them, I was able to turn the situation around completely in my final year with scores averaging high 60s/70s and secured my 2:1. My question is, although I was able to secure a 2:1 in the end, would having 3 failures in my first 2 years seriously disqualify me from MC/SC/US TC training contracts?

2. I did not complete a normal A level route - as I am an international student, after my GCSE's I completed a 9 month International Foundation Course with the same RG University (which is supposedly an A level equivalent). I am reaching out to recruiters for confirmation - but would also appreciate insight from anyone who was / knows anyone in the same position.

3. During uni, I was always heavily interested in commerce/finance, which led me to secure a grad scheme in tech. However, as there was a long gap between graduation and the start date of my grad scheme, I took on a job in a pharma company. My question is - I know I have quite diverse work experiences, would this discredit me as a serious applicant who is committed to work in law :) ? What I am the most worried about is being boxed in as an "unstable" candidate who has already changed careers to finance and now wants to switch again. I can explain how my interest in the commercial world and my work experiences led to my current decision, but will this be believable to law firms?

Any advice / perspective would be really appreciated. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Lawyering13

Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 5, 2024
    Hey, can’t speak for your first two points but I have quite diverse work experience in energy, R&D consultancy, academic research (STEM), and data analysis with no prior legal experience and just secured a TC at a top US firm. As long as you relate these experiences to why law clearly, I think you’ll be fine :)

Reactions: TJames12

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.